Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 13, 2021 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The career continues

A chapter in the book Ruminations from a Winding Career

How Can It Be?

by Rdfrdmom2




Background
A book about my career which is just entering its 50th year.
When I report for a testing in-service tomorrow morning, it will officially mark the beginning of my 50th year in education: 33 years full-time and 17 part-time.  As I ponder that, I wonder how it can be true. Sure, I remember casually commenting early in my first year of teaching that I wanted to teach for 50 years but I was delusional at the time.
 
I just renewed my teaching certificate for 10 years, the minimum a teacher can renew for in the Commonwealth of Virginia effective this year. I suspect it will be my last renewal as I will be almost 80 when this certificate expires on June 30, 2031. Even so, I will work to collect the minimum of 270 renewal points just in case I am around to renew it.
 
I am doing the work I began doing in the fall of 1972 – I am teaching students mathematics. There is a sense of coming full circle that is extremely satisfying as I help students taking Algebra 1 learn the skills they need to pass the Standards of Learning Test. The best thing I do in this process is convincing them I believe in them so they should believe in themselves.
 
I will meet my students on Monday, July 19th at 7:30 a.m. I am as excited as I was that August day in 1972 when I met my very first students. Why? It is simple, really. Teaching is a work of heart!
 
 



Recognized


Reflections from a long career with many twists and turns. A special thanks to VMarguarite for the use of Test Time to enhance this work.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.