General Fiction posted July 11, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story exactly 300 words

Disappearing

by Bill Schott


 

The last rays of the summer sun were disappearing below the horizon as Charlie boarded the train.  School had been most satisfying. Getting away and relaxing was now key.

Passing through others, he finally found the sleeper car and his cabin.  Within it, a young woman sat beneath the left berth. He saw that his bag was sitting on the floor beneath the right.

"Looks as though we are thrown together, sir"
  
"Quite!" he replied.
  
"Would you prefer the top or bottom?" she asked. 


"I am at a loss for an answer, Miss --,"

"Missus. I am Mrs. Greta Joy."


"Brilliant, Mrs. Joy. I actually have a professor named Joy."

"Alphonse Joy," she said, still staring out the window."

"Your husband is Professor Alphonse Joy?"

"Yes, Charlie."

"Wait! You know me?"
  
"Of course. You are the only student in three decades to ever pass Alphonse's course with a 100% completion."

"I had no idea that was common knowledge," said Charlie.
  
"Uncommon knowledge, certainly; wouldn't you say, Charlie?"
  
"Still, I am totally confused as to why you and I are in this same cabin," said Charlie.
  
"There are three awards earned when a student has expanded his mind to grasp all that is involved in advanced metaphysics."
  
Charlie felt his chin slowly drop as he listened intently.
  
"Three?" he whispered.
  
"Accolades will be given to the scholar, who will go on to a future full of success."
  
"Accola --"
  
"Alphonse will be freed from his decrepit old shell and will move into a young, strapping body. Your body, Charlie."
  
Charlie's eyes closed. A minute later, a smile spread across the young face.
  
"The third award is for me," said Greta. "I get a modern and virile adaptation of the love of my life."
  
"Hello, darling," said the young man. "Top or bottom?"


 



Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story. Create your own title. (fiction300 words/beg/mid/end )beginning with the sentence:
The last rays of the summer sun were disappearing below the horizon as Charlie boarded the train.


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.