Romance Fiction posted July 7, 2021 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Wedding starts, the groom is---�??�?�¦

A chapter in the book One Sunny Night

One Sunny Night-Ending Chapter

by Alaskastory



Background
Previous chapter: Danielle had decisions to make about changing her job and applying for one in Alaska. After parties with friends she made last Spring, she decides to attend the wedding.
Danielle stiffened as she gazed over the warm, vibrant face of Starla's mother. "Stewart told me how he relies on you. Loves your cooking and keeping up the house."

"He's a wonderful man. Treats us like we are part of his family. Now, you come this way for a seat. The wedding is about to begin." Mary grabbed hold of her hand.

She led the way through the living room where wide sliding doors opened onto a veranda laced in flowers. About half a hundred guests were seated. Mary left her at a back-row seat then turned and rushed away, carrying the wedding programs. Danielle thought to reach after her for a program, but her attention caught on an amazingly handsome man.

Stewart was wearing dark slacks and white shirt with a blue tie, not formal attire suitable for a groom. But then, no man in the room wore a tuxedo or anything overly fancy. The whole atmosphere was casual. He moved among guests with a radiated grin. Mary Frost stopped him to be escorted to a chair up front. Then he walked out of Danielle's sight.

Standing beside a high arch veiled in greenery and flowers were three gentlemen on one side and three ladies on the other. One of the bridesmaids gave Danielle her first smile. It was Dixie. As music started playing, she smiled again to see Curtiss operating the sound equipment. The wedding began.

All stood. The bride entered holding onto Stewart's arm. A realization began to melt through Danielle. Slowly, she grasped the sight of a much younger man who stood at the altar nervously waiting for the bride to be presented. Obviously, he was the groom!

Danielle barely noticed as the ceremony progressed. Her mind was hauntedly ablaze with how she had spent so many weeks thinking Stewart was the father of Starla's baby. It was nothing he ever said to make her believe it. No. Just one comment from Starla. Her mind had repeated it over and over again. Starla had greeted her with a stubbornly jealous attitude and confessed the main bedroom would soon be hers.

A feeling of guilt made Danielle feel nervous and unsure of herself. She managed to pull out her camera. The ceremony went on in a traditional way and came to an end with applause throughout the crowd. She took pictures of a few scenes and then, in the living room, she made her way to Starla who was sitting beside her new husband. He held the baby girl.

Starla reached out a hand with long fingernails brightly polished. "Hello, Danielle LeRoy. Meet my husband, Joe Gwichin Henry. He was my boyfriend ever since we were in fifth grade."

"I'd married her sooner if she wasn't stuck on a rich dude, just wishing to live in a mansion. I took off and was fishing on the coast for months."

Starla squeezed hard on Danielle's hand with her beautiful brown eyes widened in doubt. "I apologize for making you think Stewart was this little sweetie's dad. It took me time to know I really only want him as an Uncle. Nothing more."

Joe softly kissed his bride's cheek. "When I got back, she wouldn't let me go. Now, we got married."

"Congratulations. You are a perfect couple." Danielle felt like she shouted. With her hand freed, she pulled a gift from her bag and handed it to them.

Starla tore the wrap off and held up a pair of fur booties. "Mukluks, perfect and so beautiful." She jumped up and threw her arms around Danielle.

The hug broke as the bride's mother, Mary, came rushing up. It appeared she was courted by Peter, who Danielle remembered as an important worker on the ranch. Other guests mingled beside them. All voices dwelled on the artwork and stitching skill shown on the baby's mukluks.

Danielle snapped pictures then eased away from the crowd. Stewart obviously was involved in another group. She managed to spend time with her friends Dixie and Curtiss. Together, they reminded each other of the good times they shared last Spring and discussed plans for the coming winter. These two friends made it very clear they were strongly in love.

When Stewart walked up, his eyes gleamed with curiosity. "Welcome, Dani. Glad you made it here, pretty dress and heels almost matching your rose-colored cheeks."

His sudden appearance had enhanced her full blush. "I'm just here because my mother forced me to see you again."

"What?"

"Thinks I need to thank you again."

"Ah, all about the bears." He threw his head back with a laugh. "If you hadn't come, I'd have to go out hunting you down."

"What, why that?"

"I have something to tell you." His arm went around her to escort her away from the crowd and out on the terrace. "When I told Starla you might come today, she insisted on making a confession. Says she made you think I'm likely to be her groom."

Danielle froze. Staring blankly at him, she opened her mouth to speak, but only a mumble came out. "We..., no I mean she..., that is..., Starla, just minutes ago, mentioned that. She gave me an apology."

"Hmm, did you think that?"

"Well, sometimes. I admit you were in my thoughts, even at odd times when I was far away in Kansas. Often I remembered our last night together in June when the sun was shining on you at midnight."

"Well, we're getting a bit of darkness now. Maybe at midnight the aurora will light up the sky."

"Fantastic. I'll stay up all night to see northern lights."

"After you left, Dani, thoughts of you crept back to me. Mostly I kept thinking how you reacted when the bear clawed a window on my plane. You turned right on me. Best kiss a man could ever have."

"Oh." A red beam washed back over Danielle. Inhaling a deep breath, she turned away from him. She faced the view of the river surrounded by brush, endless forest, and the flow of mountains with snow white peaks. Pointing at bushes rimming the lawn she asked, "Are those berry bushes?"

"Wild blueberries. Mary's been picking and makes jam. Cranberries come ripe next. They're ready to pick as this month ends. Dani, will you stick around and come picking with me?"

"I'd like that. You know what? I have decided to apply for a job in Alaska."

"Best news I ever heard."

Stewart's arms circled her body and his lips tenderly came upon hers, gradually melting into deep passion.

END




Character List:
Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, rancher, pilot, coal miner
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend at work
Social Friends: Ron,Gabe,Ivar,Rhonda,Dixie
Mr. H.T. Wright, company owner
Kevin Harbeson, boyfriend in Kansas
Ginger Kellar, housemate in Kansas
Starla Frost, young pregnant woman
Peter: worker on ranch
Mary Frost: native maid & cook
Joe Gwichin-Henry: boyfriend
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.