Fantasy Fiction posted June 28, 2021 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gangus travels to an unknown land

A chapter in the book The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise

The Chronicles Of Bethica

by amahra


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Gangus, Celio, and armed soldiers leave the Cristofur to explore the promised paradise and encounter strange entities.
Chapter Eight
The Island of Gorr (Part 1)

The Cristofur sailed Coup de Main for many weeks. However, the unfathomable air had aged the food supply, turned freshwater green, and livestock sickened and died.

Fellow passengers, once kind and considerate grew into vicious rivals over the smallest morsel: The viciousness reached its peak when a dozen women fought over a goose egg; the egg, a nose, a finger, and a front tooth--all broke as the women tore into each other before finally separated.

Since the ghost ship incident, Brehira periodically stayed in her cabin praying to the gods and speaking with them in dreams. She knew her power could destroy but learned that with rigid discipline, it could also heal. Brehira preferred healing. Her hands were as a potable medicinal garden and she shared that knowledge with Gangus and Dinary. Brehira's discovery came too late for the animals, but passengers and crewmembers quickly recovered from all ailments due to her awesome capability--a gift from the gods.

Dinary, who had discovered a link between the necklace and how he'd defeated the wooden giant, shared his secret as well.

Gangus was not pleased. He smelled a supernatural rat. Had these gifts been given to aid them safely over the deadly waters to their promised paradise, or did the gods have other uses for Brehira and Dinary's powers? Gangus grew angry. The gods were holding back. And he had harsh words for Raziel--the god who'd orchestrated the journey.

*****

Morality was down; unfortunately, Brehira had no cure for that. Gangus, the awesome leader he'd proven to be and greatly respected, managed to bring the people back to their senses, but not before breaking up a few more fights. Alone in his cabin, he prayed. "Oh, Raziel...what have you done? What have you gotten me into? You promised me kingdoms in a paradise land, but all I have is a ship full of mad, starving people. Answer me!"

As Gangus sat pondering, a bell urgently rang out signaling land. Gangus rose to his feet. He lifted his eyes to the ceiling and mumbled praise.

Through his optic, Captain Dordrecht saw in the far distance, a long dark strip--mostly flat, wavy, and several giant masses stretched high upon the surface: As hours passed, the Cristofur, moving ever closer, revealed a dark soil-covered land with grassy hills and the tallest mountains Volarians had ever seen: They appeared smoky-gray with peaks as rows of arrow tips.

Two fifty-foot beige stone pillars on either side gated the entrance to the shoreline. The pillars were carved into creatures with no genitals and one large eye in the middle of each face just above the mouth. They had no noses, but on each forehead--a horn-shaped like a dagger.

A deathly silence fell over the crew as the ship passed through the gate, mindful of just months before a wooden behemoth had come to life. The swordsmen and archers were ready--never taking their eyes off the graven images. Only after cruising a distance from it, did all breathe a sigh of relief, but quite unaware that an animagus--following their every move, soared to land and revealed the imposing ship to its master.

A small party of swordsmen left the ship including, Celio, archers, and the dark-skinned Volarian, Olatunji, who served as their Striker--an expert hunter, big fish fisherman, with knowledge of medicinal plants and herbs. Because of his great strength, he too served as a warrior. With his six-foot spear, he could knock a bird out of the air with a 30-to-50-foot throw.

Gangus brushed past Dinary. "No, Father, you should stay. The people are still unstable, and they will only listen to you."

Gangus raised his hand--a gesture to silence him. "If this is the land," he said, "then I should be the one to investigate it. The people respect you as my son. They will listen to you as well."

Dinary, though not pleased, nodded in agreement.

Although thirsty and weak from a lack of food, Gangus, and the men left the ship and traveled along a narrow yellow strip.

At first, they passed through what seemed common with any land: beach and sand, though darker than Volarian sand; stones, and rocks, plants, and trees--though odd-looking and some leafless. A small flock of fowls flew overhead or looked small because of their flying distance. The men continued walking the winding path with different colored pebbles crunching underfoot.

Then the unfamiliar came to sight--as if a time shift had occurred. Everything seemed huge like the pre-human age. Trees were as tall as towers; bushes, twelve-feet-tall, dirt black as coal--blades of grass shoulder-high, bowing in a foul breeze. The surroundings appeared deliberately normal until it was not--as though its creator wanted unwelcomed visitors to feel comfortable before the land's reality came crashing in on them.

"What in Hades is this?" Bebo asked, then silence.

"What in Hades is what?" Celio answered, eyeballing his surroundings. He looked back.
"Bebo." Celio looked around. "Bebo!" He walked a ways back still calling.

"What's happen--where's Bebo?" Rufus asked bewildered.

Celio turned to Rufus with hands-on-hips. "If I knew that, you think I'd...Great Zeus!" Celio yelled, spotting Bebo. Everyone's eyes shifted to Bebo who stood facing a tree covered with large pink and blue flowers and a pink flower wrapped around his entire head. His muffled cries and flailing arms freaked Rufus to no end.

All but Rufus dropped their gear; they ran and took hold of the six petals, which felt silky to the touch, but strong as leather. The men strained and pulled, but the petals held tightly like a kiss of death.

After appearing helpless to free Bebo, Gangus muscled his way in between the men, pushing them aside. He gripped and pulled Bebo's head, creating a short distance between Bebo's covered head and the tree until the distance resembled stretched dough. But Bebo's head slipped from Gangus's fingers and Bebo's face smacked into the tree nearly knocking him unconscious.

Bebo cursed in a torrent of muffles, but clearly, though faintly screamed, "What in god's name are you doing?"

"We're trying the best we can," Gangus urged. "Hang on." He pulled out a blade and sawed, but the leathery petals resisted every cut as if the blade were his finger.

If Bebo couldn't be more stressed--he was and shouted, "Is this thing male or female!"
Looking puzzled, Gangus snapped, "What?" He turned the blade, held it in his fist, and poked the petals with the point of the blade. "What kind of fool question is that?"

"It's sucking on my lip," Bebo muffled loudly.

"You idiot! It's probably trying to eat you!" Rufus yelled.

"Auh!" Bebo cried out. He wiggled and jerked, trying to pull free.

"Quiet, Rufus!" Gangus scolded. "Bebo stay calm; let me try something from its own soil." Gangus placed the blade back in his belt. He bent and picked up a shiny transparent stone. He raked the sharp edge across the petals; the stone immediately smoked and a spark of fire burned a hole in a petal. The tree trembled and the petals shot from Bebo's head. He fell back onto the ground panting and gulping air into his lungs.

Bebo, sprawled upon the ground, attempted to show his gratitude but appeared quickly forgotten as Celio, Rufus, and the others had become fascinated with the transparent stone Gangus examined and twirled in his fingers.

Moving on down another path, Gangus kept his eye out for a suitable spot to set up camp while still light. As they puffed along the trail, the ground became rugged and the air--chilly. Celio scurried up beside each man handing out kaggo nuts which they kept in storage just for foot traveling. Its outer shell was chewy and nutritious--inside, a thick jelly to stay hydrated. There were only a few and Celio wisely took charge of them.

Exhausted, the men dragged on--chewing nuts and observing the strange environment. Suddenly, an odd flock of red creatures flew overhead.

"Whoa! Look at that," Celio said, looking up wide-eyed.

The creatures were red-feathered with green dagger-like beaks; they appeared twice as large as an eagle and had long, clawed feet.

"Food!" one of the men blurted.

Everyone stood dumbfounded looking up at the creatures.

"Olatunji," Rufus called, sounding agitated. "What the Hades are you waiting for? Surely you can hit one from here."

"I don't know." Olatunji hesitated. "They look mighty disagreeable--even from here."

"Nonsense," Rufus added. "How can dinner look disagreeable?"

"Olatunji is right," Gangus weighed in. "Let's wait for..." Before Gangus could finish his sentence, one of the archers loaded a bow and shot an arrow into the sky. It bulls-eyed a creature in the neck and brought it nosediving to the ground.

Some men cheered, but all were soon taken aback when the creatures flew into an arrow formation and dove toward them.

"Holy Jupiter!" Gangus yelled. "Stand your ground!"

The swordsmen drew their weapons and archers loaded their bows. Gangus and Celio stood side-by-side with their swords drawn. Archers let loose a hail of arrows, but the creatures, which seemed like lightning speed, disbursed--allowing the arrows to swoop past them, then went quickly back into formation.

Before the archers could reload, the creatures crashed upon them--beaks stabbing torsos, heads, hands and arms thrown up for protection; the archers grabbed arrows, and birds and men were soon covered in each other's blood. The swordsmen, however, fared better: Protecting themselves as well as the archers, they severed beaks, heads, wings, and feet until the attacking fowls were no more than a garbage heap.

"Merciful gods," Celio puffed, trying to catch a breath. "First time I almost got my butt kicked by a bird."

The men flopped upon the ground panting heavily and spitting pieces of feathers.

"We've been here hours and nothing to show for it. What if we go back empty-handed...What do we tell the mates?" Bebo blurted.

"We'll tell them the truth," Celio smirked. "We fought monsters while you were making out with a tree."

The men chuckled.

"Hey, that thing tried to eat my face."

"I thought you said it was sucking your lips," Rufus teased.

The men laughed as a few puckered and made kissing sounds to Bebo.

Bebo ignored them and pulled a couple of Kaggo nuts from his pouch and tossed one into his mouth.

"Does it ever get dark in this place?" Rufus asked. "Feels like we've been here all day."

"Perhaps that's not something we should want right now," Gangus replied.

Minutes passed as the men sat and tried to gather themselves. Sprawled upon the ground, Celio covered head to toe in blood and feathers, snapped at Gangus. "If this is paradise, please shake me when we get to Hades."

Gangus, once again unsure of the god's intentions, and not wanting to discourage his men, hid his disappointment with his downcast eyes. Rhicer, along with the map had fallen overboard during the attack. Gangus was doing the best he could with the knowledge Rhicer had shared. Slow in answering, he wiped his bloody sword across the leg of his garment. "The gods have some serious explaining...I suppose," he said.

"You suppose?" Rufus snapped, looking around nervously. "I say we go back to the ship."

"Yeah," Bebo said angrily. "And tell the gods where to stick this journey."

"No. So far we've managed what this place has thrown at us," Gangus said.

"What if you've made a mistake?" Celio asked. "This may not even be the place the gods spoke of."

"True, but we won't know that by sitting here, will we?" Gangus replied, getting up from the ground. He shoved his sword into its sheath and grabbed his gear; seeing his expression, the men knew to do the same--begrudgingly of course.

Celio stood, stretched then reached down and grabbed his gear when suddenly a whooshing sound whizzed a few inches from him, and then a faint-sounding thud. Celio's eyes followed a scream and saw a long, wooden handle attached to a wide, carved stone sticking out of Bebo's back. He was dead--face down.

"We're under attack!" Celio bellowed. He dropped his gear and pulled his sword.

"Stand your ground!" Gangus yelled.

Gangus and Celio's eyes flashed toward a group of tall bushes. Swordsmen stood in formation as archers loaded their bows. The ground shook. The top of the bushes waved left and right as they parted from the rear--opening wider and wider until the first Ogrekinkin, ten-foot-tall, blubber in the belly, twice as burly as a wine barrel, stood wide-legged. Draped in animal skins, with one shoulder and arm exposed, it carried a huge stone cleaver. Others followed until twelve Ogrekinkins stood huffing before them. The silence was deafening--the odor from them sickening as the men stood facing the monstrosities.

"Fire!" Gangus bellowed.

The archers struck their marks, but the points of their arrows were as needles sticking in the leathery skins of the giants. Though the arrows had not harmed the Ogrekinkins, the metal was something they had never felt before, and they were taken aback but not deterred.

"Dakrudah!" the head Ogrekinkin yelled and giant feet thundered towards Gangus and his men. Many archers were cut to pieces and the swordsmen's weapons, helpless against the heavy sharp stone of the cleavers, fell headless in seconds.

"Retreat!" Gangus screamed. "Back to the ship!"

"Stand your ground! Celio yelled. "Protect Lord Gangus!"

"No, you fools!" Gangus told them.

Celio shoved Gangus behind him. Heavily bleeding, the surviving twelve, including Olatunji, surrounded Gangus like a human wall.

"This is madness. Save yourselves!" Gangus ordered.

"You said the gods sent you here!" Celio yelled. "Then the gods will help us--they must!"

But the gods did not lend a helping hand that moment. The sounds of the Ogrekinkins' cleavers hacking bone, wailing cries of dying men, and Celio's screaming run for your lives, all faded like echoes in a dark valley.




Image: by Dantegrafice from Pixabay


Main Characters
Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree he ra) His wife
Dinary (Di nary) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife


Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew dee in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master
Olatunji (O lah tune gee) Cushite Striker and warrior

 




When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.