Humor Flash Fiction posted June 20, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Lush new lawn--gone in a FLASH

Rolling Up the Green Carpet

by Elizabeth Emerald


Sometime in the summer, sometime in the '70s, our next door neighbors, uncharacteristically, invited everyone on the block to a backyard barbeque.

The Robertsons had always kept to themselves, so we were taken aback by their ostensible conversion to conviviality, notwithstanding which all of us gathered at the appointed time.

Alas, the weather was not in accord with the party spirit; we were thus escorted into the living room. When the rain had commenced that morning, the planned cookout fare had been scrapped in favor of an array of pizzas, which were upon the kitchen counter awaiting our arrival.

When the rain tapered to a drizzle, the stir-crazed kids abandoned their barely nibbled slices and headed outside. 

As soon as the drizzle dissipated to mist, the Robertsons eagerly ushered us guests toward the backdoor, whilst revealing the true purpose of the party, which was to show off their gorgeous lawn.

Which it doubtless would have been had the kids not, systematically, over the course of the prior thirty minutes rolled up every strip of newly laid sod.



Recognized


Spring by JinZhou on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by JinZhou at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.