General Fiction posted June 19, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Have you ever had a memory flash back because of a song.

What's In A Dance

by Mr. Green


Ahh! the dance, the dance, the dance, what a beautiful thing it is.

Now the days of my youth have long passed. They are but a distant memory, forever locked in the melody of a song. I could have forgotten so many things if it were not for the magic of the dance, and its ability to recall past memories.

Like Otis Redding's "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" a song that transports me back to California, and the first crush I had on a beautiful brown haired girl, and the walks we would take along the ocean shore.

The Sock-Ops where a friend of mine would sing "Black Is Black" and the friends that would gather around to listen. I grew up around the old hot rods, Surfing, cool cats, slicked back hair, and of course my rolled up short sleeve shirts.

Then there were the crazy, goofy songs that made us laugh. Songs like "The One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater". If you didn't grow up during that time, you might think, what kind-a crazy title is that. Well, it's just one of those songs you have to listen to, too appreciate.

Of course there was the song "Charlie Brown" by the Coasters. And "tequila" sung by the Champs, and Do Doo Run Run, that's another crazy one.

The Everly Brothers "Bird Dog" and "Save the Last Dance For Me" by the Drifters. Each song brings back a part of my life, like they were magical time capsules bringing back vivid pictures in my head, taking me back to my younger days.

The slow dances, where we held each other close, just you and your gal, drifting on a cloud of dreams. Then I can't forget the Rock and Roll dances that made our bodies move and put life into our step.

Those were the days, riding around in those hot rods, dragging the gut like we was important dudes, at seventeen, and showing off for our girls. I will never forget those days of high collars, rolled up sleeves, and slicked back hair.

The music was sweet, and the songs were magic, Now the years have gone by, and my youth has vanished, the wrinkles are there, my hair is a silver grey, and my joints hurt now and then, but on occasion, I still take my wife's gentle hand, and we will step into the living room where I put a disc into the Stereo and we will dance to those magical tunes from long ago, as we drift upon that cloud of dreams.




I grew up during the 50's, 60's, and 70's You would have to live during that time to know its magic.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.