Fantasy Fiction posted June 13, 2021 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gangus and crew enter dark waters

A chapter in the book The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise

The Chronicles Of Bethica

by amahra




Background
Gangus and crew enter the dark waters of the Endless Ocean and what they encounter will forever change their lives.
Chapter 6 (Part 2)
The Endless Ocean


Heavy rain and fog plagued the following days; the crew worked diligently as the ship conquered each opposing wave.

Having made its final supply stop before entering the realm of the Endless Sea, the ship's lower deck was now loaded with new tools, fresh drinking water, medicinal herbs, wine, ale, spices, dry foods, and small livestock.

By late evening, the rain had stopped and the dense blanket of mist thinned enough to view the faint twinkling of the stars. Remaining on the lower level of the ship for days due to bad weather, Dinary decided to take a walk with Princess Netrekka on the upper deck. The limited space during large gatherings had practically placed them in each other's lap. From the moment he'd met her, she was never far from his thoughts, nor his heart. His welcomed advances by the Princess made a perpetual romance imminent--so imminent that after only two months of courting, he asked her to be his wife which she accepted.

As the fog continued to thin, moonbeams crept through the haze. The couple stood together looking over the edge of the ship at the sparkling waves. "I love the way the moon lights up your hair," he said, fingering one of her dark curls. She turned to him, he gathered her in his arms and passionately kissed her. She rested her head on his chest, and he kept his arms around her.

"Are you excited about our wedding day?" she asked.

"Very."

"Whenever I bring it up, you don't seem to be."

"I'm sorry," he said. "I have a lot on my mind."

She lifted her head and smiled up at him. "More important than me?" she teased.

He gently outlined her high cheekbone with his finger. "Nothing is more important than you. I'm just a little worried about my father."

"Is he not well?"

"Physically, he's as fit as a young warrior." 

"What, then?"

"He is troubled. He pretends he's not. But I know him."

"It's all those tales about the Endless Ocean isn't it?"

"Oh, he's not afraid for himself...it's me, mother, and all of you he convinced to accompany him on this journey. It's wearing him down. I can see it on his face when he thinks no one's watching."

"But these tales have been around for ages. Surely they did not escape the ears of your father."

"They did not."

"Then, I don't understand," she said frowning. "If he's troubled, why pursue the journey?"

"Some...Oracle," Dinary said like a bad taste in his mouth, "called Naman convinced him that the gods want him to make this voyage."

Her facial expression more relaxed, Netrekka spoke calmly. "And you don't believe this Naman person?" Dinary didn't answer, but the princess didn't need one. She could see him struggling not to respond--not to seem in conflict with his father.

Dinary stared at the waves as if they had the answer he needed. He turned to her--parted his lips to speak, when suddenly, he shot his hand inside his shirt, grabbed his chest, and bent from the waist; his face contorted into tightly closed eyelids, a wrinkled nose and lips drawn back so far, his cheeks nearly touched his eyelashes.

"What is it! What is wrong!" she called out, reaching for him.

Dinary gasped and held his breath; his face flushed red and he groaned through his clenched teeth.

"Dinary! What is it...speak to me!" Netrekka grabbed him by the shoulders as he went down on one knee. "Please, what is wrong!"

"Aah!" Dinary yelled and pulled his hand from under his shirt.

Her eyes widened at the sight of a blistering burn mark on his chest. His fist was clasped tightly onto the silver eagle that hung from the chain around his neck. He couldn't let go of it and it was frying his hand.

"For god's sake, take it!" he shrieked.

Netrekka pried open his hand--forcefully peeling back every finger, one-by-one, and then not wanting to risk getting burnt, she carefully reached in the back of his neck and snatched the chain from over his head--tearing eagle and flesh from his palm. She slung the necklace over the side of the ship.

"No!" Dinary yelled. "Why did you do that!"

She stood frozen at his startling reaction.

"Why did you do that!"

"I...I..." she stammered.

"Why did you do that!"

"It was killing you!" she cried.

He turned from her. "That's all I had of my brother," he said, frantically searching the waves.

He turned to Netrekka who was crying loudly with her hands covering her face. Holding his injured hand like a dog with a wounded paw, Dinary slowly walked towards her. Angrier than frightened now, she pulled away from his good hand.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, Netrekka. I didn't mean to yell at you."

"What was that thing? Why would your brother give you such a thing?"

"It's never done that before. He wore it when we were children. I've seen it on him a thousand times, and it's never done that."

Netrekka, still reeling from Dinary's reaction to her tossing the necklace overboard, asked him harshly, "Where...did he get it?"

"He never said."

"Well, were you not curious?"

"Why? It was just a necklace."

The princess took a deep breath to calm her. She reached out and with a sympathetic look, gently held the arm with the burnt hand. "Just a necklace?" she said referring to his injury.

He gazed at his palm but said nothing.

"Perhaps your father may know som..."

"No." he interrupted. "I'm certain he knows nothing; he would have mentioned something when he saw me with it." Dinary cringed when he straightened his burnt hand. His palm, like blood-oozing raw meat, felt like scalding hot water being poured into it.

"Shall I call the Medicus?" she asked with great concern.

"Do me a favor."

"Anything, my love," she replied.

"Don't mention this to anyone. I want to find the answer myself."

"Of course, love. I..." Her next word caught in her throat as she gasped and her eyes widened. The burn mark on his chest appeared to sink as if in quicksand, and then new skin blossomed like a budding plant--that opened then laid flat.

"What?" Dinary asked her, looking down at his chest. "Whe...where did it go?" he asked looking and feeling around for the scar.

"It...just...disappeared," she said, her gaze still fixed on his chest.

Simultaneously, their eyes darted to his hand, and just as before, but with a slightly longer process, the injured part of his palm and fingers bubbled into flesh-colored foam. Dinary felt tingling but no pain. When the foaming stopped, burnt bits of flesh covered the palm and fingers like loose charred crust. He brushed off the pieces with his good hand and the dark flakes fell to the floorboards. The hand appeared healthy. They marveled at the mysterious incident and struggled to find words.

"What...in the name of the gods was that?" He finally blurted.

Netrekka looked out at sea. "We have entered strange territory, my love," she said in an icy tone.

Dinary's eyes flashed up at the sky that also took in the ocean. He grabbed Netrekka by her waist and slowly backed away from the wall of the ship.

"Let's not speak of this to anyone."

"I agree, my love."

They made the long walk back to her cabin where he kissed her goodnight.
After leaving her, Dinary walked up the hallway where he spotted Gangus with that same troublesome look on his face.

"Is everything well, Father?"

"Yes, I'm just taking this map up to Rhicer."

"I'll check on Mother before turning in."

"Fine. Good night," Gangus said hurrying up the stairs.

"Good night."

Dinary wondered what was so important for his father to see Rhicer at that time of night. But the need for sleep and the strain of that night's ordeal convinced him to let it ride until morning.

Rhicer was an old Sea Artist--the best of his kind. He was not only an expert compass reader, but he could read the stars and winds and could point out any route at sea. He could guess the coming weather just by how the waves struck against a piece of wood or other floating objects in the water. When Gangus entered his chamber, Rhicer was busy reading a chart and turned to greet him. "Well, Lord Abram, you're up pretty late. Couldn't sleep either, hey?"

"No. I could. I just wanted to see what you thought of this. It's rather strange. The Oracle gave it to me." Gangus handed him the map.

Rhicer glared at Gangus and smirked. He took the map, unfolded it, and turned it sideways up. After taking a few moments to examine it, his mouth fell open.

"Merciful gods, man. Did you say an Oracle gave you this?"

"Yes."

"The lands are filled with false Oracles, which is why most people laugh when someone says they spoke with one. I almost laughed at you. But I believe you did get this from an Oracle of the gods. You must be someone very special. Do you understand it?"

"Hardly, that's why I brought it to you."

"It's a star map...not just any star map. Some believe the gods created it themselves. Only a few of these exist in the world. It can take you through any waters, no matter how far, dangerous, or mystical. You can't get lost if you know how to read the formation of the stars. I know of only seven persons in all the world who can read these--I'm proud to say I am one of them."

For the first time, Gangus could breathe freely. "Rhicer, I can't tell you what a weight you've just lifted from my chest having said that. Because now I know for sure that the gods indeed blessed this journey."

The men became fast friends. Gangus sat up most of the night--fascinated, listening to Rhicer explaining the different formations of the stars and what they meant.

Down below, Dinary slept. In the dark silence of the room, a spot lit to a bright yellow upon his chest and the necklace suddenly reappeared around his neck. It lay against his skin, still and cold; the glow from the sapphire eye broke through the darkness of the room. The eye blinked--the wings moved as the eagle slowly turned its profile head and looked up at him. The other side of its profile was smooth, blank metal.  Dinary, still asleep, shifted over on his side. The tinkling sound of the chain and weight when it fell against his hand woke him. He jumped at the sight of the silver eagle. He was frightened at first, but then calmness covered him, like a liquid shadow. He lay in the dark clutching it and wondering about its mystery. Strangely, he smiled. It was all he had that belonged to his brother.

Meanwhile--on the top deck, Kofius signaled the captain. The Sail Master narrowed his eyes as if he couldn't believe what he saw. Under the bright beam of the moon sat a battered ship with dark, torn sails--each torn piece flapping in the night wind. Shadows appeared to dance across the deck of the abandoned ship as it slowly rocked to and fro against the toss of the waves. The prow was ten feet above the bow and was carved into a huge winged creature that looked as if it had come straight from the bowels of Hades. And in each of its carved skeletal hands were real swords that were three times the length and width of any crafted blade Kofius had ever seen.

Captain Dordrecht rushed in. "How does it look, Kofius?"

"Captain, I think you need to see this."




The End Of Chapter Six
Image: by Dantegrafice from Pixabay


Main Characters
Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree he ra) His wife
Dinary (Di nary) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife


Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew-dee-in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master




 



Book of the Month contest entry


When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.