Romance Fiction posted June 6, 2021 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Katherine needs the cross country trail map.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 19 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Mr. Edwards shook his head. "Bears, you heard it right here. Stay tuned Wednesday morning during announcements to see who won this challenge." He glanced at Gabriel. "How we going to score it? You could probably do a percentage."

Gabriel chuckled. "I can't. I'm a coach/history teacher. That would be Coach Riley's department."

"Don't worry about it. I already have it figured out."

Both Mr. Edwards and Gabriel nodded.

The cheerleaders came forward and the pep-rally continued.

TODAY'S POST: Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 21 days.

Chapter 19 part 2


Katherine waited outside for her cross country team to join her when Gabriel walked up. "I thought you'd be busy with your team."

"The boys are horsing-around. They're letting off nervous steam about tonight's game. I have to allow for some craziness. I needed to get out and see how the other coaches were doing."

"So you visit all other coaches as much as you do me, right?"

Gabriel grinned. "I do check in with them, but to be honest probably not as often. I hate to admit it but I have a vested interesting in girls' cross country."

Mr. Edwards walked up. "Or do you have a vested interest in the girls' cross country coach?"

Chuckling, Gabriel said, "I plead the fifth."

Katherine's cheeks tinged pink.

"I actually made the trip out here to check and see if you two are okay with this hill challenge." Mr. Edwards' glanced between them. "I first thought it would be a good idea, and then it took a life of its own."

As the girls filed from the locker room, Katherine said, "I'm fine with it but I'm worried about Gabriel. I know how competitive he is and I'm worried he won't handle his boys getting beaten by girls. I'm sure he can come up with some sort of dance for his guys. He has all sorts of tricks up his sleeve." She smiled and turned. "Girls, let's get started. We're just doing stretches."

Shaking his head, Gabriel released a deep breath. "With the parameters she put on this race, I'm pretty sure she's going to win. Have you seen my linemen run up that hill? They don't actually run it. I can't even describe it. It's some sort of strange walk/crawl. They're linemen; they aren't supposed to be fast. She knows that."

The two men started inside, as Gabriel continued, "I'd better research dances they can do. Maybe they'll be good at that. Running, not so much." He faced Paul, "You know she set me up, don't you?"

"She did. She knows football and the male ego. She got you good and probably enjoyed every second of it."

"True, but she'll never admit it."

*****
Katherine changed into jeans and a Bears' T-shirt and then she and the boys returned to school. She set them on the same bleachers she had the previous week. She closed her eyes and took two deep breaths. A few minutes of peace before the crowd shows up. She exhaled a slow breath. I'm forgetting something, but what? She jumped up. "Tomorrow's map! I need it."

The opposing team came out of the locker rooms and jogged to the opposite end of the field.

In a couple of minutes we'll come out. I'll motion for Gabriel to come here. What if he's too busy? Katherine sat tapping her feet.

The team came running out with Gabriel leading the way. On his way to watch the opposing team's warm-ups, he grinned and nodded at Katherine. She motioned for him to come toward her, but somebody stepped in the way, and he didn't notice.

Now what? What if I go down and talk to him? She sighed and muttered, "Rule number one in football, Mothers are never allowed on the field. But I won't go as a mom, but a coach. Does that count?" She sighed. Not to Jordan. He'll see me as his mother. My son would hate me for the rest of his life. Maybe he'll stop by before they go back to the locker room. He did last week.

Katherine stood and paced. Good, Gabriel's headed in this direction. A referee stopped him.

He'll never get here. She continued pacing.

Angie came up to her. "You doing all right? You look nervous about something."

"I don't have a map of tomorrow's course."

"That'd be good to have."

"I know."

Gabriel stood on the track below the railing. "Coach Riley, why're you pacing? I know you're not worried about this game. We got it. So you must be worried about the hill challenge. You saw my linemen warming up and got worried."

"No, I'm concerned about tomorrow's race. I don't have the map of tomorrow's course."

He hit his forehead. "Darn! I knew I was forgetting something. Sorry, it's on my desk. I was going to give to you when I came to practice."

"Can I get it now?"

"The door's locked." He reached in his pockets. "And I don't have my keys. I promise I'll bring it by after the game. After the game, take the boys home. I'll bring Jordan." He turned toward the field. "I'm needed. Again, I'm sorry."

"I know you're busy. I didn't think of it until a few minutes ago. Good luck tonight."



CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a cross country race map. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 800 words. Thank you for having patience with me.

To a teenage boy, his mom going down on the football field is a real threat. They would be teased FOREVER!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.