Romance Fiction posted May 22, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
If Tomorrow Never Comes...

I'll Be There

by Begin Again















Wax dripped down the melted tapered candles. The champagne bottle and fluted wedding glasses remained untouched. The burnt smell of over-grilled porterhouse steaks hung in the air. Red rose petals withered on the linen tablecloth. The remains of their uncelebrated anniversary brought fresh tears to Missy’s eyes. A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she flipped off the dining room light.

 

An obscene stream of snorting and gurgling rumbled from Jacob’s mouth. Missy covered her mouth and nose, attempting to shut out the putrid odor of stale beer and vomit. His failed attempt at undressing in his drunken state left his wrinkled shirt hanging from one arm. An unopened twelve-pack of Budweiser sat on the coffee table next to the bowling trophy he’d won tonight. 

 

Her decision was made. Missy twisted her wedding ring around her finger, slipping it off and gently placing it on top of the anniversary card she’d left on the coffee table earlier in the day. Her heart shattered. He’d promised tonight would be memorable and then he’d forgotten. It wasn’t the first time or even the second, but it would be the last. She kissed her fingertips and touched his lips. A  loud gross snort was his response.

"I'm sorry, Jacob."

 

Missy wiped her tear-stained eyes and slowly walked toward their bedroom. It had been their cocoon. They’d dreamt about their future, they’d made passionate love, and they’d promised to love one another forever. Missy shivered as a chill ran through her body. Where had it all gone wrong?

 

Opening the closet, she pulled out one of their matching pieces of luggage. She’d decided to pack a few things and return tomorrow while Jacob was at work for the rest. In the bathroom, she filled her cosmetic bag, grabbed her toothbrush and toothpaste and the hairbrush. Satisfied she’d packed enough even if she waited a few days to return, she snapped the locks on the suitcase, took one last sad glance around the room, and started to leave.

 

Stopping at the doorway, she remembered her pillow. Even when they traveled, she always took her pillow. Jacob joked that it was her security blanket. Leaving the suitcase in the hall, she walked to her side of the bed and picked up the pillow, catching a whiff of the familiar lavender scent she sprayed on the pillowcase. She squeezed the pillow, burying her face. As she turned to leave, something caught her eye.

 

A pink envelope with hand-drawn hearts and a small red box lay on the bed. With trembling hands, Missy picked them up. Her legs were weak as she sank onto the bed. Opening the envelope, she slipped the folded letter out and began to read.

 

My Dearest Love, 

 

I can’t remember what it was like before you, but I’ll never forget when our eyes first met. From that very moment, I knew you were the woman for me. I don’t even know how we got here, but I do know that you will always be the only one I need. You taught me how to love and how to get back up when I fell. How to reach out and touch you. How to trust in the bonds we made on our wedding day and believe that they were for eternity.

 

When I say I love you more, I don’t mean I love you more than you love me. I’m just trying to tell you I love you more than all the bad days we might see. I love you more than any fight we will ever have. I love you more than any distance or any obstacle that could ever come between us.

 

I know I’m far from perfect, and I see the pain in your eyes. I never meant to hurt you or cause you any harm. My heart only beats because of the love we share. I can’t imagine a morning waking up and not having you there. You are my life, Missy.

 

A few weeks ago, I saw this necklace in the jewelry store window. I just knew I had to buy it for you. The words sum up my love for you. “If there comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I will stay there forever.” Those aren’t empty words, my love. I will be there forever.

 

Sometimes when I come home late at night and you're sleeping, I turn out the lights and lay there. I realize how much I love you and how I don’t tell you that often enough. I hope you know how I feel and never doubt how much you mean to me, but I know I’ve given you cause to worry.  I want you to know, Missy, that if that day would ever come, I will always be with you in your heart. I could never leave your side.

 

When we said from this day forward, we became one. You probably got the short end of the deal, but when I fail you, please remember it’s not because I don’t love you. 

 

Happy Anniversary, my love.

 

Jacob

 

Her tears splashed across the letter. Maybe… she prayed … God had given them another chance.




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.