General Fiction posted May 22, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Race-Less Portrait

Love at First Sound

by damommy


 
It was a multi-national conference I had to attend, and when I walked into the auditorium, I was still amazed at the number of people from nearly every country in the world.  But one caught my eye, or rather my ear.
 
He spoke perfect English, but his voice had a certain accent that was unmistakable, a sort of sing-song cadence that was lovely.  Even before I saw him, I knew I had to meet him, so I went over and introduced myself.
 
His wavy blond hair and his startling blue eyes were reminiscent of a cooler clime than what we were enjoying today.  Not so much enjoying as enduring. 
 
“Hello,” I said, “my name is Millicent.  Welcome to the conference.”
 
He replied, “Goddag.  My name is Nils, and t’ank you for coming over.  I know no one here and vas feeling a bit, how you say, a fish out of vater.”
 
I could hear his native tongue in his words, and it made me think of houses with gingerbread trim nestled against a snow-covered mountain, with clear, blue fjords nearby.  I thought of sleighs with bells jingling through the freezing nighttime air with passengers snuggled down in big fur blankets.
 
Well, friends, the rest is history, as they say.  We met several times after that, and eight months later, were married.  I now live in one of those gingerbread-trimmed houses, and look forward to sleigh rides while snuggling with my new husband ‘neath big fur blankets.

 



Race-Less Portrait contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.