Fantasy Fiction posted May 25, 2021 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gangus secures a ship, captain and crew

A chapter in the book The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise

The Chronicles Of Bethica

by amahra




Background
Gangus secures a ship, captain, and crew then he, his clan, and 750 hopefuls set out to fulfill his destiny.
Chapter Four
The Cristofur 
     
     




Bang! Bang! The Chief Justice's wooden mallet struck the sound block; it echoed throughout the long meeting room but was ignored by the nearly two hundred people pushing and fighting to sign up for Lord Abram's' Paradise Adventure. 

"Get out of my way, you pompous fool!" a man shouted, shoving a short bearded man to the floor then taking his place in line. Another scuffle broke out near the end of the line and then another in the middle of the floor. Cooler heads pulled them apart and continued to referee until they calmed.

"Citizens! Citizens!" the Justice pleaded. "If this unruliness continues, I will have all guilty parties removed and fined. Is that clear!" he shouted.

Loud voices of compliance rose from the lips of those impatiently standing in the stuffy, packed room. Outside, hundreds more waited. Each had a different story roaming in their heads. Many were simply poor; some were drifters and needed to belong; a few were bandits, looking to steal what they could--making the next port their 'getaway' route. But most had real dreams and hopes for a better life, willing to risk everything, even their lives, to make the journey.

Many worked long hours trying to pay off debts to crooked landowners. Some were tired of farming other folk's land. Because of limited wells, women spent most of their days toting water over long distances. And many more were tired of the stench they had to endure from animal traffic which left the streets swarming with rodents and flies. There seemed little or no work for men; no real future for children, and a limited supply of husbands for young maidens. The Paradise trip just had to be everything it boasted, many exclaimed.

Unfortunately, being poor and having hopes and dreams weren't the criteria for a seat. Settling in a new land required people of skill. There were Guilds needed. Guilds of Masons, and millers--of Black Smiths, and carpenters, weapon makers, as well as other artisans. Needed also were midwives, physicians, scholars, priests, entertainers, expert swordsmen, farmers, fishermen, and the like.

As the sign-up sheet filled, the line from the outside moved quickly inside. There was less shoving and more polite chatter. It had taken some people days to travel from little-known villages to Orange Tree. By the end of the day, twenty-five hundred names were on the sheet. Only the best seven hundred and fifty would be chosen. Later that night, villagers and city dwellers who had signed up hoped that, in three weeks, their names would be among those who had made the list. Hopefuls who had never prayed, prayed that night.

*****

Captain Dulcy P. Dordrecht, a red-bearded man with green eyes in his mid-fifties, was Gangus' fifth interviewee. Dinary had been sent out to spy on each captain's claims of having the ideal ship. Dordrecht captained The Cristofur, a former warship that had endured many battles. Brehira worried that the ship had seen its better days. But workers rebuilt it into a three-story passenger ship with small individual chambers for the captain, upper staff members, and Nobles.

It contained a lower chamber for storing ropes and sails; also, it slept the officer in charge of the prow who had a staff of his own that stayed only in that chamber and carried out whatever was needed. Another chamber held the compass reader who also watched the stars and winds and pointed out the routes across the sea. On the same level, the weapons were kept, and next to them, housed the ones who would use them.

Then there was the great spacious middle chamber for the passengers. It received no light except for what came through the four hatchways. In the hold, everyone would have their own berth or space. Because of its width, between the berths was where the passengers would keep their chest, trunks, and other private property.

The lowest chamber, at the far end of the ship, housed the space for cooking; down from the cooking area, a stable for small animals to be slaughtered.

Gangus and Brehira walked with the captain out of the dining area and into the sitting room.

"That was a scrumptious meal, Lady Abram. At sea, I don't get many well-cooked dishes."

"I hope this is only one of many, Captain," Brehira said. She left the men to talk and went into the next room. Gangus and the captain sat facing one another.

"So, Captain," Gangus asked, "What makes you so eager to join my suicide journey?" Both Gangus and the captain chuckled because that was exactly what the critics called it.

"The notion started when I was a young man. I had planned to have my own ship and explore the ends of the world. But, like most men in love, I let a pretty little thing change my mind. Her name was Lititia. I bought a little farm, we married, and she gave birth to our son, but he soon died. A year later, she gave me a beautiful daughter, but the Black Fever took them both. I was devastated. I sold the farm, bought a little ship, and kept working my way up to bigger ones." The captain sat back in the chair.

"A lot for a man's shoulders to bear.  At least you were able to fulfill your dream of traveling."

"Traveling...ha. That's what I called it until I read your post."

"Ah...you're looking for danger," Gangus said smiling.

The captain leaned forward with a little boy gleam in his eyes. "Lord Abram, what you're proposing is exactly what I want. A trip to uncharted territory. A land gazed upon only by the eyes of the gods. I don't know if it's truth or fiction about this Endless Ocean. Men returned shaken up, vowing never to go again. Some never returned. Tales boast they found paradise and stayed; others claimed they were eaten by monsters."

"And you are willing to risk your men and your ship?"

"The men I hire are special; most are unmarried, no children, no responsibilities, nothing but seawater in their veins, and perhaps some with seaweed for brains," the captain chuckled. But they're like me, Lord Abram...adventurous, battle-hardened with a quest for the unknown. It's what I've always wanted." The captain grinned sheepishly and sat back. "Well, that's my tale. What made you decide to risk such a journey?"

"My reasons are rather complicated. I don't really know how to explain it. Perhaps one day when we're out at sea."

"Out at sea?" The captain's back straightened. "Did you say...out at sea?" His face brightened. "My good Lord Abram, does this mean you've chosen me?"

"You have what I need," Gangus said with a serious glare. "A sixty-ton, three-story former warship, seventy-four feet by two hundred and eighty feet, able to support over seven hundred passengers and carry a year's supply of food and other goods, proved itself in many battles of war, and still appears to be going strong." Gangus leaned forward with his hand extended and said, "Welcome to suicide journey."

Captain Dordrecht grinned and almost shook Gangus' hand off. Gangus and the captain celebrated their new partnership with silver goblets of the Abrams' finest wine. Afterward, The captain rose to leave.

"I better be heading back," Dordrecht said, "so I can tell my men the good news and get things started, prepare the ship and give her a good once over."

"Just a once-over...no minor repairs?" Gangus asked rising from his chair.

"None. It just needs to be shined up a bit."

"Excellent," Gangus replied.  He walked the captain to the door and opened it. "Safe travel, captain...until we meet again."

"Thank you, Lord Abram."  After getting into his awaiting carriage, Dordrecht waved as the driver pulled off.

That night, Brehira sat up in bed laboring over a list of things to pack, while Gangus lay next to her pretending to be asleep but worried about the responsibility for so many people. I must trust the gods, he thought.  Down the hall, the servants talked of enjoying as much time as possible on land since they would be spending many, months at sea. In the next cottage, Dinary fingered the eagle necklace on his chest, fearing he might never see his brother again.

*****

The trees were already filled with red birds on the expected day for the list. It was daybreak and the orange sun still faintly gleamed over the stone buildings, animal pens, and fields. The stray dogs and cats stretched and took their separate walks behind the butcher shop. A pig had been gutted and the innards put in a slop bucket ready to be discarded out the back door. It seemed the strays' breakfast was but a butcher's throw away.

For weeks, Brehira and servants had meticulously checked the backgrounds of every candidate. Because of the size of the ship, Gangus decided to increase the passenger list to seven hundred and fifty. The skill levels of those who had won a seat were extremely high. There were many people with the same skills, so if one or two were ill or got sick and died, there would be others to take their places. The list was expected to be posted throughout Skatts Island around noon. Because expectations and tempers were high, the Chief Justice had asked the king to send soldiers to discourage any rioting that might occur.

At Port Benet, The Cristofur glittered under the morning sunlight. The ship was tan and dark green trimmed in gold. Its square-rigged masts sat high above the deck like a crown. Hundreds of workers had been hired to sweep, scrub, and polish cabins, halls, and decks of the ship. It was one of the better-built ships of its day. 

A little past dawn, soldiers landed on Skatts Island. They made their presence known by riding up and down the streets and into the various villages. They walked in and out of shops, helping themselves to fruits, pastries,  legs of lamb, baked chickens. No one dared to speak against them. As minor soldiers, they were not paid as well as those who defended the king's interests in faraway lands. Even their uniforms were not as fine; they bore the same colors, but many were second-hand, worn, and faded with sloppy patchwork. But they still possessed the authority of the king. So, opposing them was not wise.

Before noon, the streets grew crowded. It proved good for business as the owners continued to replace food and drink in their now standing-room-only shops. A few minor fights broke out, but soldiers showed little patience for such behavior and quickly crushed them.

Well past the noonday sun, people grew intolerant when the list bearer failed to show up at the appointed time as promised. They discovered later that the bearer was detained in a nearby town when a group of men pulled him off his horse and took the scrolls from him. When they didn't see their names on the list, they beat him. The bearer jumped on his horse and fled for his life.

As time ticked on, people got restless, and tempers flared. In Crows Tavern, someone slapped a woman, and two men who injured each other in a knife fight were arrested. Greatly past the middle of the day, the list bearer's horse trotted into Orange Tree. Word of his coming spread like a grass fire. People stumbled drunk out of taverns and poured out of shops. The street and sidewalks packed as the crowd buzzed loudly with conversation. The bearer slowly got off his horse. Fighting his way through the crowd was useless until the soldiers muscled him in with ease. As the list went up, the crowd grew silent. The list was huge, and the writing small. The man was escorted back to his horse; he mounted and trotted to the next town.

One by one, cheers, laughter, tears, and anger marked the mood at each viewing. There were no riots just anger, cursing, and disappointment on the faces of many who didn't make the list. Those who did rejoice with tears and uncontrollable laughter. Many celebrated in the streets with singing and dancing for hours. Then the shops finally closed and people went home; only soldiers and street cleaners remained. Gangus' post had caused quite a stir. There hadn't been that much excitement in Orange Tree since farmer Rodsaff's temperamental bull got loose and terrorized townsfolk and villagers for two hours before an arrow pierced his heart. To this day, Lord Abram's Paradise Journey remains one of the most talked-about events in Skatts Island.

*****

The day had arrived. The Cristofur had docked and was being loaded; seven hundred and fifty people had assembled to board. The Abram clan was finally leaving Skatts Island. Orange Tree had been their home for nearly five months--longer than anticipated. Dinary sat silently looking out the coach window. The servants, Celio, and the others occupied the other carriages that were behind. Everyone seemed excited but still weary of the long journey.    

"I'm going to kind of miss this place with its slow pace and quietness," Gangus said.

Brehira frowned. "Of course you would, you're a man."

"And what does that have to do with anything?" he asked.

"Do you know how many trips the servants and I had to make to the well? Who do you think provided you with fresh water every day, the gods?"

Gangus turned his head and mumbled under his breath.

From his coach window, Dinary observed many lines of people waving at those who were heading to the port. Some too poor to afford a horse or a mule had set out walking at dawn. In the carriage, however, the ride took twenty minutes.

The carriage pulled in front of the port. Gangus saw loved ones who hadn't made the list kissing and wishing family members as well as neighbors a grateful farewell. Many townspeople and villagers just showed up to signify and get a glimpse of the famous Cristofur. The crewmembers greeted Gangus and Brehira and unloaded their trunks from the horse-drawn carts; then escorted her and company to their cabins.

Though the ship appeared well mended and a bit scarred on the outside, nothing prepared them for the comfort and splendor of the cabins. The inside of the ship was very spacious. Everything that one could need or want was among the supplies of the ship. The crew was well-groomed and polite.
 
Brehira, after examing the interior of the ship, walked swiftly back on deck.

"Honey," she said excitedly to Gangus. "You made a fine choice of the captain and this ship. The cabins are lovely. It's better equipped than the village we just came from." Brehira kissed him on the cheek and hurried back to her unpacking.

"Lord Abram!" Captain Dordrecht called.

"If we're going to be spending several months together, I think it's time you call me Gangus." He then turned and said, "And this is my son, Dinary."

"Happy to make your acquaintance, Dinary. Welcome aboard."

"Thank you, sir," Dinary said with a nod. He then turned his focus to Gangus.

"Father, I think I'll go down and start unpacking."

"All right, son."

"Well, Gangus, why don't you go on down and get settled as well. We'll be pulling out at first light."

"Good idea," he said. He left the captain and headed for his cabin. It was the second-largest--the captains' being the first. Everyone seemed pleased with their accommodations.

In the early morning sun, the Cristofur pulled out of Port Benet, never to darken its port again, and headed for the journey that had been ordained by the gods through the Oracle Naman.

Image : by Dantegrafice from Pixabay


Main Characters

Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree he ra) His wife
Dinary (Di nary) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife


Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew-dee-in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master




 




When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.