General Fiction posted May 16, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
everyone needs a helper

Today

by Erika Seshadri

Maybe today will be the day I get to use my superpowers to help someone. People come here all the time. Some of them seem excited, but most of them look sad and lonely. I know that something important is missing from their lives. I also know it's just a matter of time before someone chooses me to be their helper. I make sure to greet everyone properly by wagging my tail, so they know I'm nice.

I don't know how long I've been here, but I'm ready to leave. I feel lonely. The last woman I helped, she had me since I was little. We were best friends until she got sick and had to go to heaven. She told me before she left that she'd see me again some day, but I've been waiting a long time now. Her family didn't want to take care of me, so they brought me here. I've thought about trying to break free and go look for her, but I don't know where heaven is.

Oh! One of the people is making eye contact with me! A young woman wearing running shoes. She looks worried. I bark to let her know, "Yes, I'm here for you!" but she continues walking down the concrete hallway, looking at the others. I must not be the kind of help she needs today. It's okay. I hope she picks one of my friends.

A little girl and her family push open the metal doors and enter the kennel hallway. All of my friends start barking with excitement. We love children the most because we know how important it is for tiny people to have a best friend they can count on no matter what. The little girl covers her ears. I understand. It can get really loud in here.

She looks around and points to Penny. Penny's a puppy. A good match for a little girl. They greet each other. It looks like love at first site. Everyone is laughing and smiling. The family takes Penny to The Meeting Room, and she doesn't come back. That means she found a new home. I'm happy for Penny.

A voice comes over the loudspeaker. "The shelter will be closing in thirty minutes. Please make your way to an adoption associate if you are interested in a particular animal."

No one is interested in me, which means I won't get to help anyone today, but that's okay. Maybe tomorrow.

*****

A couple of weeks have passed. Some of my friends have left, only to be replaced with different friends. I know a lot of them have gone to The Meeting Room, so they are happy in their new homes now. But, some of my friends have been taken to The Back. Where it's dark. And they never return. I don't know exactly what happens there, but I can smell fear in the air whenever the shelter workers open that door. I'm scared of The Back. I hope I never have to go there.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for someone to recognize my superpowers and choose me.

*****

This morning, as soon as the shelter opens, the adoption specialist called Jane leads a man to my kennel. The man has a limp, like I do. He has some grey hair on his face--just like me. I wag my tail to let him know I'm happy to see him. I try to jump up to show him I'm excited, but my joints hurt. He tries to bend down to see me better, but it looks like his joints hurt him too. He smiles at me, and says a few soft words to Jane.

Jane opens the door to my kennel. Is it happening? Am I getting chosen to become a helper? I whine and wag my tail as hard as I can to show I'm eager and ready. She slips a leash around my neck and hands it to the man. I follow him down the hallway to The Meeting Room. We sit together for a long time. He talks to me. I listen. I like the sound of his voice. He pets me. It feels good. I lick his hand.

Jane brings some papers for the man to sign and shakes his hand with a huge smile. She kneels down to me and says, "Sweet Miles. Congratulations. Today is your day."



Short story writing contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Erika Seshadri All rights reserved.
Erika Seshadri has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.