Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted September 28, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
September Grass by James Taylor

Sally's Jukebox Hits #38

by Sally Law




Welcome, welcome! I'm counting down my all-time favorite hits from 50 to 1!

He's kinda folk, kinda country, everyone loves him: James Taylor.

At #38 is 'September Grass' which is sure to become one of your favorites.

I was in 10th grade his first album debuted. Per usual, I was short on cash. So, what to do? I went in with a friend, and we shared the 'Sweet Baby James' LP record. What we did way back then for a good song! It was wonderful playing this album, and the prestigious half-album ownership. It introduced me to one of greatest American legends of folk rock.

As with most immature partnerships, my friend left town with the record; but it never daunted my love for his unique sound.

At 66, my finances have improved, but my music tastes have remained the same. He keeps great company in this genre: Carole King, Carly Simon, Natalie Cole, and Simon and Garfunkel. Yes, James is up a few more times in this lineup.

Wait! I forgot about his Christmas album! Dang.... I'm going to need some extra space for James come December....

This song is a autumnal gem, super romantic, and an undiscovered great. I've introduced many to this. Here it is, dear FanStorians, September Grass.

{September Grass, written by Sheldon John I}

Well, the sun's not so hot in the sky today
and you know I can see summertime slipping on away.
A few more geese are gone, a few more leaves turning red,
but the grass is as soft as a feather in a feather bed.
So I'll be king and you'll be queen, our kingdom's gonna be this little patch of green.
Won't you lie down here right now in this September grass?
Won't you lie down with me now, September grass.

Oh, the memory is like the sweetest pain. Yeah, I kissed the girl at a football game.
I can still smell the sweat and the grass stains.
We walked home together, I was never the same.
But that was a long time ago, and where is she now? I don't know.
Won't you lie down here right now in this September grass?
Won't you lie down with me now, September grass.

Oh, September grass is the sweetest kind, it goes down easy like apple wine.
Hope you don't mind if I pour you some, made that much sweeter by the winter to come.

Do you see those ants dancing on a blade of grass?
Do you know what I know? That's you and me, baby.
We're so small and the world's so vast, we found each other down in the grass.
Won't you lie down here right now in this September grass?
Won't you lie down with me now, September grass.

Lie down, lie down, lie down, lie down.

Won't you lie down here right now in this September grass?
Won't you lie down with me now, September grass.
Won't you lie down here right now in this September grass?
Won't you lie down with me now, September grass....


Until next time....



Recognized

#29
September
2021






https://pixabay.com/photos/autumn-alley-birch-1040606/@pixabay.com

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jamestaylor/septembergrass.html
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.