Fantasy Fiction posted May 11, 2021 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Abram must destroy the Nordoxz

A chapter in the book The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise

The Chronicles Of Bethica

by amahra




Background
Lord Abram is awakened by a strange voice and told to seek the Oracle Naman; he must journey across a deadly Sea to defeat the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids controlled by evil forces.
Chapter One
The Call of Lord Abram:


In the quiet dark of night, Lord Gangus Abram was awakened by a mysterious voice; his eyes flashed opened and darted back and forth across the bedroom ceiling. His hand tightened into a fist, and his heart raced. Gangus glanced over at his wife, Brehira, who had not stirred. He eased out of bed, tiptoed to the far side of the room, and stood looking around nervously. The room had suddenly grown icy cold, and Gangus shivered in his thin bedclothes. "Who is there?" he whispered, with water vapor fogging out of his mouth after each word.

"Go quickly to the north end of the forest," a strange voice said. "There, you will find a single cottage. Speak to a man called Naman."

The voice was like no other Gangus had ever heard. It spoke like a gust of wind, yet the words were clear. It came from everywhere in the room, yet nowhere could he pinpoint its direction. He glanced once more over at Brehira who was still sleeping. Why couldn't she hear it? Had it done something to my sweet? He walked briskly over to the bed and touched her shoulder lightly. When she stirred, he blew out a grateful breath of air and gently pulled the covers over her shoulders. Brehira was the love of his life. He had married her when she was seventeen and brought her to this land called Volaria. With his great wealth, he built a manor house where Brehira bore him two sons, Khimah and Dinary.

Gangus had lived in this land all of his life. Volaria was a single landmass surrounded by the Endless Ocean. The Endless Ocean lived up to its name, for it stretched for thousands of miles. Over the years, numerous captains who had grown weary of its length and hostile waters, would often turn back.

Volaria also proved a genuine paradise because of the rich soil that yielded vegetables and fruit all year round; the waters overflowed with every kind of edible creature; plus, the weather was suitable for cattle and sheep farming.

Gangus was a magnificent man with olive skin and dark mixed gray hair. At six feet and still muscular for an ex-soldier of forty-eight, he was well respected and known as a man of great courage who remained obedient to the will of the gods. However, tonight, Gangus wasn't so sure if he could live up to that name; the voice had heaped chills upon his skin, yet he felt a strange sensation to obey. So, he dressed, grabbed a lantern, and walked quietly past each of his son's room--down the long hall past the servant's quarters, down the spiraling staircase and out the door.

Under the dark, starry sky, the moon was full and unusually bright. When night birds flew in front of it in a 'Z' formation, Gangus felt something was about to happen; or had the incident just given him the creeps? Nonetheless, he picked up his pace as he walked along the grassy path, past the large, tall trees with its hooting owls and other creature songs of the night. The forest was thick and eerie. The top of the trees swayed back and forth with the rhythm of a gentle breeze.

After what seemed like thirty minutes of walking, Gangus arrived at the north end of the forest and spotted the lone cottage with a light shining through a thin curtain at the window. No one was usually awake at that hour, so he assumed the man, Naman was expecting him. Before he knocked, a voice called him by name from beyond the door. But this was the deep voice of a man. His hand hurtled to his side where he gripped the handle of his sword and stood staring at the door, hesitating to advance.
"Lord Abram," the voice called again.
"I am here," he answered forcefully to mask the fear in his voice.

Gangus strolled to the door and found it cracked. He laid his lantern aside, and with one hand still gripping his sword, he pushed the door open with the other. He entered the one room and found it dark, where a single candle sat in the middle of a small table near the window. From a dark corner, a shadowy figure spoke.
"Come into the light."
"Who are you?" Gangus asked with authority.
"I am the Oracle, Naman. I knew of your coming."
"How? Who told you?"
"He goes by many names, but you know him as Raziel, God of Leadership and Honor among other titles," he said, his voice trailing off.
"Why should I believe you?"

The Oracle mentioned an incident that had taken place in Gangus' early life--something Gangus had never revealed to a living soul. Gangus stumbled backward but didn't speak. When he had gained his composure, he blurted, "What manner of sorcery is this?" Then he moved closer to the light.
"Not sorcery," Naman said, "I assure you." The Oracle motioned for him to sit. Gangus stepped forward and sat in front of the light. Then the Oracle came out of the shadow holding two tin cups. He placed the cups on the table and sat before Gangus.

Gangus saw that the Oracle was short and fair--more hair on his face than his head. He found him to be quite peaceful-looking for a man with such an overwhelming presence. And, he was blind.
"What did the Lord Raziel say to you concerning me?"

The Oracle reached from beneath his chair and brought up a jug. "Have some wine. You have come a long way. I am sure you could use a drink?" The Oracle didn't wait for an answer. He held the jug, placed his index finger in the tin cup and poured--his finger measuring how far the wine came up to the rim without going over it. He handed the cup of wine to Gangus.
"Thank you," Gangus said.

Then the Oracle poured one for himself.
Both men took a hefty swallow. The Oracle felt around for Gangus' cup and half-filled it again before doing the same for himself. After both had their fill, the Oracle spoke.
"You have been given a great gift. The gods do not treat everyone so."
"What is this gift?" Gangus asked taking another gulp.
"You will leave Volaria and go to a far off land which Raziel has already shown you, and from the loins of your sons will spring great kingdoms."
"That's the gift? If it is, Raziel can keep it," Gangus blurted, wine dribbling down his chin.
"Careful what you say." The Oracle's milky white eyes moved around in its useless sockets as if he feared someone else was listening.

Gangus' heart sank. "I am to leave my home? That does not make sense. Leave paradise and go where, to...to some distant land? And what about my family? What if I can't persuade them? What if they refuse to go? I'm not leaving them behind. No!" he said shaking his head. As he looked to the ceiling, he muttered, "Raziel, you asked too much." Gangus flopped back in the chair. He threw his head back and drained his cup of wine then slammed the empty cup down on the table.

"It is a hard, hard thing to ask any man. I know," the Oracle said. "But you, Lord Abram, are not just any man. I think you have known you were special since you were a boy." The Oracle slid a map across the table to him. Gangus unfolded the map and examined it. It was the most unusual map he'd ever seen.

Gangus' heart was hurting for what he was about to do to his family. But he knew it was the will of the gods. It was confirmation of all of the dreams he'd been having for the past three years, like dreams of a long journey across rough oceans, dreams of entering a distant and hostile land, and dreams of battling monsters. Dreams he had prayed were just the result of too much wine before bedtime. But now, he knew. Gangus took the map, folded it and stood to leave. He stopped and looked over his shoulder at the Oracle. "Thank you. I apologize for my reactions; for now, I know that only a god could have revealed this to you."

When he returned home and entered his bedroom, Brehira was sitting up in bed and had a look of fear and puzzlement on her face. He placed the lantern on the table and began taking off his clothes.

After a few minutes, she said, "Really? You have nothing to say?" She stared at him.
Gangus slid into bed beside her. "Not tonight," he said. He attempted to kiss her, but she leaned away. Brehira was still beautiful for a woman with two adult sons. She had long, dark hair and flashing dark brown eyes.
"Where were you? I...I thought something had happened."
"My dear, I'll explain in the morning," he said pulling up the covers.
"In the morning? What was so important that you had to leave this time of night and say nothing to me? Do you know I was about to wake the others? Sound the alarm?"

He leaned in, she didn't move this time, and he kissed her lips tenderly. "Honey, please--in the morning. I've had a trying night." He rolled over on his side, facing her, and closed his eyes.

Brehira looked up to the ceiling in disgust. She blew out the light then looked over at her husband. She twice pounded her pillow seeming to get it just right for sleeping, but acting as if she wished it were his head. She lay back and went to sleep.

Just before dawn, Brehira woke and, again, found that her husband wasn't beside her. She grabbed a cloak as it was always a little chilly in the mornings and went into the family room where she found Gangus fully dressed--unusual for him that early, and standing peering out the window. He had a faraway look, and deep frowns lined his forehead.

He didn't hear her when she walked up beside him. She gently placed her soft, tan hand upon his shoulder. He turned and acknowledged her with a smile and a kiss on the cheek.
"What is it, my husband? What has troubled you so?"
"The gods have asked the unthinkable."
"Where did you go last night? Was that the god's doing?"
"I'm afraid so."
"But...but why?"

He placed his finger upon her plump lips and shushed her. "I'm going to call a meeting as soon as it's light. I'm going to tell everyone at the same time."
"But...why can't you tell me now. Can't you see I...?"
"Please, honey. Don't make me say this twice."
With that, he dragged off away from her and towards the bedroom.
"Then I'll make us tea," she told him.
He nodded and continued into the bedroom.

Later on in the day, in the large room set aside for celebrations, Brehira, Khimah, Dinary, the house servants, and many of their neighbors were helping themselves to lamb chops, salads, green vegetables, fruits, and brew. Then Abram stood and begged everyone's attention.

Khimah and Dinary were tall and well built like their father. Khimah was the oldest and was in his late twenties. He had fair skin with dark eyes. Dinary who was in his mid-twenties, had olive skin, dark hair, and eyes. Both were skilled in combat (trained by their father) and were considered by noblemen as ideal husbands for their daughters.

"My dear wife," Gangus began, "My sons, neighbors, and friends. I know this will come as a huge shock to you, but last night, the gods spoke to me through the Oracle Naman. Until last night, I thought my dreams of a journey were only foolish dreams. But now I know they weren't just dreams. The gods demand that I take my family and others who wish to travel with me to a new land across the Endless Ocean. The gods promised that we would find an even greater paradise."

Brehira gasped. Dinary was speechless. Eyes flashed up at him, and mumbling grew loud among the small crowd.
"Father! The gods?" Khimah said. "That makes no sense. Naman is no Oracle--just a crazy old blind man who hears voices. He should be put away, going around ruining people's lives with this nonsense."
"Gangus, you...you can't be serious, love."

Dinary swallowed hard and found his voice. "Father, you are going to leave all this? Have you forgotten what we had to do to keep this land, all the battles we fought against those land-murderous Trolls, and thieving Goblins and Orcs?"
"No, son, I've not forgotten."
"Mother, talk to him," Dinary pleaded.

Brehira, regretting her duties as a wife, stared at Gangus, her eyes glassy and spoke half-heartedly. "Where my husband goes, I go," she said, her voice cracking; then she stormed out of the room.
"There, you see. Now, look what you're doing to Mother." Khimah said angrily. "How could you do this...make her leave her home, and for what, to travel to some godforsaken land across the Endless Ocean? It is called endless for a reason! All who have tried to sail it either returned years later with ocean madness or did not return at all."
"Khimah, listen...," Gangus said.
"No! I won't listen. I think you're foolish, Father." He turned to Dinary. "And you're an idiot if you follow him." Khimah stormed out of the room to console his mother.
"I believe you should think this over, Father," Dinary said before climbing the stairs to his bedroom.

Celio-- medium height, dark-haired man in his late thirties spoke up. "If you're set on going," he said, "I would love to join you on this journey, My Lord. Those of us who fought beside you would surely welcome the adventure."

"You mean, you'd leave all this?"
"All what?" he said, looking around him. "A lot of us ex-soldiers are restless. We miss the excitement. Why I never felt more alive than when we were fighting those smelly Trolls," Celio said, turning up his nose.

"Are you serious? You mean you'd go with me?"
"Sure. I know quite a few men who are as restless for excitement as I am. You'll need some extra swords if you insist on traveling to this strange land. Never know what trouble you might find."

"Well, what about your women?"
"Some, like me, have none and those that do, well, they are pretty much like your misses--if you pardon me for saying so, My Lord. They'll follow their men anywhere."
Gangus chuckled. "I would be proud to have you with me, Celio, and all the men you can muster up."

"Just let me know when you're ready to leave, My Lord."
"I will." Gangus turned to exit the room. "Stay as long as you like," he said to his guests. "There is plenty of food." He walked into the family dining area where Khimah was trying to console his mother. Brehira looked up at Gangus with puffy eyes. Gangus sighed and looked down at the floor.

Image:  by Dantegrafice from Pixabay

Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree he ra) His wife
Dinary (Di nary) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife


Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew-dee-in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master



 




When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.