Essay Non-Fiction posted May 5, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Trendy Wave Of The Future Or Passing Fad?

Virtual Medical Care

by Brett Matthew West


Here is one of the types of articles I create for my new column. Not sure how much I will post on FanStory with any regularity. But, thought I'd share this one.

Virtual medical visits. Are they a wave of the future or just another passing fad? Telemedicine may include real-time phone and/or video chats with your doctor. They can also include remote monitoring of patients by tools that collect data.

Tasks like managing chronic conditions, lab work reviews, and the treatment of several acute conditions can be covered by telemedicine. But, where is the one-on-one interaction between doctor and patient? Somehow, with telemedicine it appears to be lacking.

Supporters of telehealth claim the benefits can include decreasing healthcare costs, conveniences, and providing a good option for follow-up appointments, as well as minor health issues. But, telemedicine does very little of nothing for the treatment of major or serious situations.

The expansion of telemedicine has been an ongoing process for the past several years. One of the largest, most recent, shoves occurred in 2020 when the Centers For Medicare and Medicaid broadened their use of telemedicine for Medicare recipients to the tune of approximately 24.5 million beneficiaries.

Many healthcare providers push their patients to take social distancing seriously in the form of telemedicine. Some patients find this care easier than going to a doctor's office. And, being in their own homes makes them more comfortable than the stress of going to a doctor's appointment.

However, for those patients who lack video capabilities like Zoom, or smartphones, and not everybody owns them, how can a doctor in good faith physically examine that patient? A lot of vital information can be lost in translation. These are just two of the major drawbacks to telemedicine. Another is the treatment the patient receives is based on their verbal responses, not necessarily on what a trained doctor observes. And, not all can express themselves clearly enough to properly convey what ails them.

So, you decide for yourself if telemedicine is a wave of the future or a passing fad. What level of medical care are you willing to accept?




The New Hospital, by willie, selected to complement my article.

So, thanks willie, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my article.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by willie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.