General Fiction posted May 4, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Through the eyes of a child /short story

The Shed

by zanya


HI Gramps,
Mummy said to get this letter wrote quickly cos she's goin to the village to buy veggies. I can come if I promise to wear my mask and not pull it down over my chin. I washed my blue mask this morning It is blowing in the wind on the clothes line. It will smell fresh. I will buy the stamp myself with money Daddy gave me for my seventh birthday. Oh, I forgot.Nobody uses money since the disease came but Mummy says it is ok in the post office. I haven't been at school for weeks. I miss my friend, Anna. We played Tag at school. Now I don't play anything. I have to sit with Mummy at the computer and do my sums. Mummy is not good at sums. Sometimes she says 2 and 2 is 5. Mummy likes her paintbrush and big box of paints. I don't see Daddy until it is time to put on my p.js and have my hot chocolate. Gramps I can make my own hot chocolate with a big spoon of chocolate in some warm milk. I wish Daddy would read 'Charlie and the Chocolate factory'. He says he is too busy. He says I have to play in the back garden. The front garden is better. I can see Anna's house. I get to see 'Charlie', Anna's doggie. Wish I could run and jump with Charlie. What are you doing Gramps ?Are you and Grandma wearing masks to the village? Mummy says when we get our new computer we will be able to see you on the screen. I can't wait. But I won't be able to see your white beard Gramps if you are wearing a mask. Why are we wearing masks Gramps?. Mummy says there is a disease and people are dying. Remember when your donkey Neddy was sick. Neddy was coughing lots. You said he had a disease. Will it be like this forever Gramps? Sorry Gramps forgot to bring the letter to the post office. There was a long line of people at the post office. Dunno when I will get to post your letter Gramps? Charlie ran out the gate of Anna's house and came to our gate. I got to pull his ears. Mummy says he needs a haircut. Daddy is going to stay in the shed in the garden for a while. Mummy says he has a cough. Mummy doesn't do sums anymore or paint with her brushes. She bakes scones cos Daddy needs some nice treats. She won't let me bring the scones to the shed. She wraps them in a tea towel and leaves them at the shed door. Gramps I don't know when I will post this letter. Is there a war on Gramps? Will bombs drop from the sky ? Wish you were here Gramps so I could pull your long beard. Have to go Gramps. Mummy is going down to the shed.
Bye
Jamie



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.