General Non-Fiction posted May 2, 2021 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
If you're going to gossip, get the facts!

A chapter in the book FAMILY - SHORT STORIES

You Said What?

by Begin Again
















Yesterday was the big shoot of the film. Instead of celebrating May Day, we were having a corporate New Year’s Eve party with glitz, glamour, and some back-room intrigue. Thirty-five or forty extras were included in the shots. The financial investors and their wives had chosen to join the filming as well. 

 

During filming, I wore several different hats. As Event Coordinator, I had the responsibility of reading the script and deciding what props I would need to purchase; during filming, I do the staging prior to the cast arriving on set, and later, having owned a catering business in days gone by, I provide a dinner meal for everyone, hopefully addressing the requirements of all.

 

Last night, I arrived at the beautiful limestone farmhouse with a very special dinner buffet. But first, I wanted to check on the set, which happens to include five rooms in the house. The scene in the kitchen had dirty dishes, highball glasses, and stemware with varying unfinished drinks staged and ready for a jealous husband when a male acquaintance offers to help the wife clean up. In the dining room, several chafers and platters of food lined the table. Another table had a giant clamshell with shrimp. A staged bar with beers and liquor bottles held court on a third table along the wall. An eight-foot Christmas tree adorned with New Year’s hats, masks, and horns plus clock faces announcing the stroke of midnight added a festive spirit in the front room. Snacks and platters were scattered around on end tables and shelves in every room. After all, it’s the biggest event of the year and anyone who’s who was in attendance.

 

It looked spectacular, if I must say so myself.

 

The crew prepared for another shot. The extras milled about inside and out. Satisfied, I switched hats back to the caterer and started to set up the buffet in a spot previously chosen that morning. The menu included Italian sausage and penne pasta, Fettucini alfredo, garlic roasted potatoes, and an Italian salad.  We offered hamburgers, brats, barbeque, fruit, and baked beans for those who preferred the lighter menu. It was a plentiful meal and choices for a variety of crew, actors, actresses, and extras.

 

As I laid out the spread, I overheard two women standing several feet behind me.

 

“Wow, I’ve never expected a spread like this. Usually, the extras don’t get fed.”

 

“Right! It’s nice, but I hope the money we invested in the film wasn’t used to pay for unnecessary meals like this.”

 

“Yeah, I didn’t think of that.”

 

“Wait till Daniel gets a look at this.”

 

I went inside to tell my son it was ready and ask if they wanted to tell everyone they could eat. He announced it, and the crowd converged on the buffet line. I relished all the oohs and aahs, of course. My choice of payment is cheap!

 

Because it was a beautiful 83 degrees with a slight breeze, everyone chose to eat outside at a picnic area or scattered across the grass here and there. Assuming my duties as “the caterer,” I walked around checking how everyone liked the food and whether I could get them anything else. Of course, I suggested they return for seconds.

 

Many, but not all know me, from this shoot or were extras when Without Grace filmed, so it’s fun to chit-chat as I mill around. When I came to the table with the ladies mentioned above and their husbands ( the money people), I asked how everything was, and they all offered the expected responses. It was then that I used the manners my mom taught me. I smiled so graciously and  asked if they knew who I was. The wife of the first investor responded, “Yes, you’re the woman who catered all this food. Quite an unexpected spread they asked you to provide.”

 

I offered my hand to her, offering my best Chesire cat smile before adding, “I’m Mama Cichella, Matthew’s mom.”

 

I wish I’d had a Go-Pro to capture her expression.

 

Immediately, I followed with, “I provide the food and my time free of charge so he can concentrate on what matters, the film.”

 

Needless to say, when it came time for the extras to leave, I was lavished with thank yous and praise from all. I offered my best smile to each person, including the one with egg on her face.




Recognized


I just thought I'd share a little of the events happening during the filming. It's been lots of late nights, but everyone has tried their best. Yesterday was the biggest shot, the New Year's Eve celebration and one of the last days of filming. I decided to award everyone with a special meal.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.