General Fiction posted April 26, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Please see author notes after reading.

Death By Broken Heart

by Leann DS


They stood united, encircling his burial site in the hot air thick with anger, sadness, and grief. Their collective cries echoed throughout the plain, capturing the attention of passersby.

The family's matriarch, overwhelmed with despair, collapsed, unable, or perhaps unwilling, to stand. Her loved ones soothed her and gently encouraged her to carry on. She did not respond.

Many tears were shed as over fifty mourned together. It was on that day that the African elephants said farewell to and buried two from their herd: One murdered by the hands of poachers and one who died from a broken heart.



New Arrival Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


"Elephants bond with each other, often forming lifelong friendships. When elephants lose a friend or relative, they reject food, isolate themselves, guard the body, and sometimes die of grief."

https://brigitteganger.medium.com/elephants-grieve-a8fe4a0d62e2
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Leann DS All rights reserved.
Leann DS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.