Family Flash Fiction posted April 25, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The 60s had everything.

Family Night in the 60s

by RodG


On Sunday night the whole family watched The Beatles’ debut on The Ed Sullivan Show.  Molly, my sister, screamed through all three songs they sang.

“When you come back, Petey,” my hair will be as long as Ringo’s,” said Joey, my brother.

That whole weekend we’d celebrated my return from Boot Camp.  The day before we’d seen the latest Bond film From Russia With Love.

After we turned off the TV to have cake, Dad asked, “Where do you think you’ll be sent?”

“My buddies from BC are betting Vietnam.”

“Where’s that?” asked Joey.

Five years later he learned first-hand.




Flash From the Past writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story between 98 and 102 words. The catch is that the setting must be a decade that is very distinguishable through the story. for example, if you were to write about our current decade, 2020 to 2030, you might mention the current events, technology, fashion, movies, etc. that are prevalent right now. you may not write about our current decade. :-)

Have fun, and good luck!


Artwork is courtesy of Google images.

The story is set on February 9, 1964, but I compressed events from that year to fit the narrative.

WORD COUNT: 101 Apple Pages
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.