General Fiction posted April 21, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Familicide contest entry

Last Ride On the Party Train

by Leann DS

Visited by Death Contest Winner 

The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Anthony stumbled down the hallway, still sleepy and rubbing his eyes, Tripping on piles of discarded clothing and random trash. It was still early, and maybe he could go to school today, if his parents weren't still on the "party train."

He peeked inside Charlie's bedroom and was surprised to notice that Charlie wasn't in his bed. Anthony loved his little brother. The two-year-old adored Anthony and followed him around like a puppy.

Entering the kitchen, he saw Charlie, asleep on the floor under the kitchen table that was littered with pizza boxes and numerous crushed Coors light cans. He found one partially eaten slice of pepperoni... Jackpot!

Just as he was about to tickle Charlie awake, he noticed a tiny plastic bag filled with "nose candy "on the floor beside Charlie's head. The blood drained from his body with fear. Quickly, he rolled Charlie over revealing two now empty similar bags and a white powder coating Charlie's slack face.

Thoughts blew through Anthony's mind: stimulus check, party train, nose candy, Pizza, beer, Charlie!

Anthony picked up Charlie and tried to cuddle him in his 11-year-old emaciated arms. Still, Charlie did not move and his little body was stiff and cold.

A blinding rage swept over Anthony. Wasn't it enough that they never had cereal for breakfast... clean clothes... that the house smelled like cigarettes and piss and dog?

Wasn't it enough that Anthony missed almost half of fourth grade... that Charlie's only toys were empty boxes and A rubber Batman keychain that Anthony swiped from a boy at school?

All they had to do was keep Charlie away from their party train. They couldn't even do that right, and now, Charlie...

Oh, Charlie! Anthony rocked back-and-forth, sitting among the piles of rubble and clutching his baby brother as tightly as he could.

Reverently, Anthony carried Charlie to his bed, covering him with a soiled comforter.

"I love you, Charlie," Anthony said, kissing Charlie's forehead before calmly making his way to his parents' bedroom, retrieving the loaded pistol, and going to the living room where he found his parents' half-clothed bodies sprawled on the couch.

With surprising strength and steadiness, Anthony aimed and fired, twice, then, he retrieved the rest of the nose candy, swallowed it down, and went to lie beside Charlie.


Writing Prompt
Write a story of no more than 400 words about a familicide. Title is not included in the word count.

Visited by Death
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by fotogran at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Leann DS All rights reserved.
Leann DS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.