Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 20, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Finding a way out --

On the Edge of Deception Pg 21

by Begin Again







After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, but the father has a different story to tell.

 





“Dwight, sweetie, I wished you’d call me back. We’re short-handed, and I can’t leave the bar, but I’d like to hear your sexy voice and know that you’re feeling better. Call me, please. I love ya!”

 

Satisfied with her ploy, Nancy mixed Rosie’s margarita and Kate’s gin and tonic.  

 

“I bet she has no idea.” Rosie whispered to Kate, “Oh, my God, it’s just not right that Nancy doesn’t know.”

 

Nancy placed coasters on the bar and then set the drinks in front of the girls. “What doesn’t Nancy know?”

 

“Oh, it’s nothing.” Kate shook her head. “Rosie doesn’t know when to keep things to herself.”

 

“I do too! It’s not like half the town don’t already know.” Rosie pretended to be annoyed with Kate.

 

“Okay, if half the town knows, then I want to know. What the heck are you talking about?” Nancy looked from one girl to the other, questioning.

 

“Go ahead, Rosie. You started this.” Kate picked up her gin and tonic, stirred it, and took a sip.

 

“Come on, Rosie. Spill the beans.”  Nancy crossed her arms on the bar and leaned forward. “I’m all ears, girl.”

 

“Well, isn’t that Daisy Mae Collins?” Rosie nodded her head sideways toward the girl at the end of the bar.

 

“Yeah, I hired her for the night shift when Jesse took off.” Nancy gave Rosie a quizzical look. “How do you know her? I thought she was from somewhere south of here.”

 

“Well, I did hear she lived in Oakdale, but she moved up here about six months ago. She used to attend our church when she first came to town. It wasn’t but a few weeks, and stories were flying around our choir meeting. The rumor is that Miss Daisy slept with the Pastor’s nineteen-year-old son.” Rosie sipped her margarita, and Nancy pondered on the juicy information she’d just learned.

 

Kate leaned closer and whispered, “I’m not one to gossip, but I heard it was more than Pastor Tills’ son. I’m not mentioning names, but she was flirting with a half dozen of the men at church. The women were in an uproar.”

 

“Yeah, she’s a real pistol. I know Kate says I should keep my mouth shut, but if it were my man she was flirting with, I’d want to know.”

 

“Come on, Ruthie, spit it out.” Nancy had already put two and two together. “What else?

 

“Oh, I might as well tell you, ’cause it’ll take Ruthie forever to get around to it. We both saw Daisy and Dwight out back the other night in his car. The windows were getting mighty steamy.”

 

“Really? He’s home, sick. Sure hope he didn’t catch anything if you know what I mean.” The comical look on Nancy’s face was priceless.

 

All three girls broke into hysterical laughter.

 

Rosie motioned for the other girls to move in closer. “Tilly, the maid over at the Chalet, she told me that Daisy left a guy tied to the bedposts, naked as a jaybird. Tilly said she heard screaming coming from the room, and she called security. They opened the door, and there he was. Of course, Tilly, being a church-going lady,  covered her eyes and left.” 

 

“Rosie, you know she was gawking and getting her eyes full.” Katie gave a slight shove to Rosie’s shoulder. “You going to tell me you wouldn’t have taken a peek?”

 

“Oh, Kate, don’t be givin' me the vapors.” Rosie fluttered her hand in front of her face.

 

“What kind of woman ties up a man to have sex, anyhow?” Nancy rolled her eyes as if she couldn’t believe what they were saying. “Let me get you girls another drink on the house.”

 

Nancy moved down the bar to mix the drinks.  She couldn’t believe the gift Rosie and Kate had just handed her. 

 

Well, Daisy, you think you can screw my man right under my nose and get away with it, do you? You’ve met your match. Now it’s my turn. Watch how Nancy plays the game.

 

**********

 

“Daisy,” Nancy called from the back room.

 

“Yes, Ms. Nancy, did you need something?” Daisy stood in the doorway.

 

“I was wondering if you could run by Chicken Charlie’s and pick up some dinner for Dwight?”

 

“Well, I am scheduled to work for another two hours, ma’am.” 

 

“The place is dead tonight. I can handle it till closing.” Nancy smiled. “It’d make me feel so much better if I knew Dwight had some dinner. You can grab a six-pack of beer too.” 

 

“Well. I guess I could do that.” Daisy glanced at the clock with a worried look.

 

“Oh, don’t worry, Daisy. I’ll keep you on the clock until we close.”

 

Daisy’s face perked up. “Sure, I’ll be happy to help you out.”

 

“Here’s a twenty for dinner, and I’ll write Dwight’s address down for you.” Nancy picked up a yellow notepad and her pen.

 

“Oh, no need, I know where he lives.” 

 

Sure you do! 

 

“Okay, don’t forget the beer and tell Dwight I sent my love. Thank you so much. I know he’ll be laying there waiting for you.” Nancy almost started laughing at her little joke, but she controlled her smile till she returned to the bar.

 

Daisy grabbed the cold beer and headed for her car.

 

Maybe Dwight isn’t half as sick as she thinks. I’ll be happy to play doctor with him.

 

Smiling, she pulled out of the parking lot, headed for Chicken Charlie’s, and then a surprise rendezvous with Dwight. It was going to be an exciting night, after all.

 

Poor Nancy has no idea!

 

**********

 

Daisy pulled into the alley and parked. Nancy had told her the back door would be unlocked and just to go in. She’d decided to make up a tray with two plates and two beers before she went to the bedroom. 

 

Hmmm… maybe I should serve dinner with my top off. That should make Dwight feel better. Boobs ala carte!

 

She chuckled.

 

Once Daisy was inside, she opened two beers and placed the remainder in the refrigerator. She searched the cupboards for two plates and some silverware, then arranged the food on the plates. She’d picked up a rose from a vendor outside Chicken Charlie’s to dress up the serving tray. 

 

After Daisy fixed the tray, she freshened her lipstick, removed her blouse, and misted her chest with cologne. Satisfied, she picked up the tray. She’d shared Dwight’s bedroom on another occasion, so she knew where she was going.

 

As she approached the door, she sweetly called out, “Dwight, baby, your little Daisy brought you a sweet treat.”

 

Pushing the door open, she added, “Ready or not, here I come!”

Daisy flipped on the light, and a horrendous animal cry bubbled out of her mouth, and her eyes widened. The tray and food flew into the air, scattering everywhere. Dwight lay tied to the bed, his tongue hanging out and his mouth wide open. A carving knife protruded from his chest, and blood pooled all around it. 

 

Instantly, she flew down the hallway, grabbing her blouse and purse from the table, and escaped out the backdoor. Not stopping to put her blouse on, Daisy jumped into her car, slammed it into reverse until she could turn the wheel, and raced down the alley.

 

“Mr. Tiny, what’s this world coming to? Dwight Culbertson needs to put in a revolving door. Last night it was Ms. Nancy, and tonight, well, never in my lifetime have I ever seen a half-naked girl in such a hurry.”  Amanda snuffed her cigarette into the flower pot. “Just too much excitement for me. Time for folks to be in their beds.”

 

**************

 

Daisy grabbed her cell phone and called the bar. It rang and rang without anyone answering. “Pick up, pick up, pick up.”  Her adrenalin was pumping, and her heart was pounding like crazy. 

 

She hung up and dialed again. “Nancy, answer the damn phone.” Daisy was screaming at the top of her lungs, but no one was answering.

 

She pulled over to the curb and parked. She needed to think.

 

I can’t call the police, not with that warrant from Oakdale. I don’t have any friends in this hick town. Nancy, you just have to answer this phone ‘cause I don’t know what to do.

 

She called the bar again. The phone rang and rang with no answer. Daisy beat the steering wheel with her fists. "Answer, please."

 

Sitting on a barstool, sipping a beer, Nancy smiled.




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Nancy - Owner of Last Chance and Dwight's mistress
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Daisy Mae Collins - bartender at Last Chance and "talk about town" flirt
Jesse - A risky choice of friends for Tyson and bartender at Last Chance
Miguel - Jesse's partner in crime
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Virginia (Gigi) - caseworker and sidekick to Bert
Detective Ric Santiago
Hank Arnato - retired detective and currently Private Investigator
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Peter Rotello - Nate's son
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.