Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 19, 2021 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When you can't break family ties-

A chapter in the book On the Edge of Deception

On the Edge of Deception Pg 18

by Begin Again





After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, but the father has a different story to tell







“Man, I should have put my fist into his pearly whites.” Dwight snarled, following with a chuckle at the prospect. “Thinking he could mess with my woman. It ain’t happening on my watch.”

 

"WHOSE BED HAS YOUR BOOTS BEEN UNDER?" a cheating song by Shania Twain blasted through Dwight’s car radio speakers as he pulled into the parking lot of Last Chance. After his confrontation with Peter, his blood was percolating, and he’d worked up a head of steam. He liked to park in the back, so nobody knew he was there. As he rounded the building, he was looking forward to seeing Nancy and having a cool one.

 “What the…”   Dwight hit the gas, spinning the tires and tossing gravel across the lot. Stopping short of running over Nancy and Peter, he scrambled out of the car. “You lousy son of a bitch, I told you to stay away from my woman.” He grabbed for Peter’s suit jacket but missed as Peter stepped away.

 

“Dwight, it’s not what you think.” Nancy tried to intercept the live torpedo aimed directly at Peter.

 

“Then what is it?” Dwight’s fuse was lit, regardless of Nancy stepping between the two men. “You two out here together. Can’t talk inside? What ya trying to hide?”

 

“You’re so stupid,” Peter smirked and shook his head. “Put a leash on this clown, will you, Nancy? Or I’ll…”

 

“You’ll what, big guy? I’ll whip your ass from here to next Sunday.” Dwight tried to step around Nancy, but she grabbed him.

 

Over her shoulder, she said, “Just go, Peter. I’ll take care of this.” She tugged on Dwight’s arm, pulling him toward the door.

 

“You better.” Shooting a disgusted look at Dwight, Peter slid behind the steering wheel of his sporty red Mustang. Through the open window, he yelled to Dwight, “Sure like your beater, man. Did you lose at the demolition derby?” Laughing loudly, he put the car in reverse as Dwight charged toward the Mustang.

 

“Come on, Dwight. Let’s get a beer.” Nancy opened the backdoor of the bar. “I told you, Peter is a business partner, nothing more.”

 

“Oh yeah, well, I see him sniffing around you again, and I’m going to take care of his sorry butt.”

 

Dwight and Nancy walked into the bar.

 

Dwight slid onto a barstool, and Nancy set a cold bottle of Heineken in front of him. “Relax, sweetie. Drink your beer and cool down.”  

 

Dwight continued to nurse beers for the next several hours, finally switching to straight gin. His attitude about Nancy and Peter escalated until he shouted obscenities about cheating, loud enough for the entire place to hear.

 

“Dwight, lower your voice. Nobody cares about your wild imagination.”

 

“They should. That guy thinks he owns the world just because his daddy runs the biggest trucking business in this area. Well, he’s not messing with my woman.” Dwight spun around on the barstool and yelled, "Nobody touches my woman."

 

“Dwight, shut up!” Nancy looked at the other patrons and sheepishly shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Woman, no one tells me to shut up!” Dwight’s hand shot forward. He twisted Nancy’s arm and snarled, “Not even you. Understand?”

 

Everyone was staring at the couple. A few snickers drifted across the room. Nancy yanked her arm from Dwight’s grip. Sparks of anger flew from her green eyes. 

 

“Get out! Go sleep it off in your car or whatever, but get out, Dwight.” She grabbed the gin bottle and his beer and tossed it in one of the sinks. “You made a big mistake, Dwight. Nobody puts their hands on me unless I want them to.”

 

Dwight tried to stand, wobbling as he leaned across the bar. “Oh, kiss me, honey. You look so hot and sexy when you get mad.”

 

Nancy stepped away. Her voice was low and controlled, “Get out!” 

 

Dwight shrugged and headed for the back door, bumping against anything in his path. With his back toward Nancy, he waved in the air. “You’ll be sorry, honey.”

 

Under her breath, Nancy muttered, “Payback’s a bitch, Dwight.” She continued to wipe the bar counter, but a storm was building in her mind. She wasn't in the custom of being treated with anything but respect. Dwight Culbertson had crossed the line.

 

**********

 Exhausted from this morning’s visit with her Mom and then seeing Rachel, Beth had walked the back streets for hours. The more she thought about her situation and her dad, the more confused she became. Finally, she’d found herself standing in the Culbertson backyard, staring at the place called home. She couldn’t help but envision past birthday parties, celebrating together, back when laughter, good food, and good times surrounded their family. Life was so different when her mom was alive.

 

 Beth lay curled up on the ground next to Toby’s grave. Tears trickled down her face. “I miss you, Toby. I’m sorry about what happened to you, but honestly, I would have been terrified to leave you with Dad. I can’t even take care of myself, and you deserved better.” A long deep sigh escaped her lips. “I don’t know what to do, Toby. I talked to Mom today. I told her I was thinking about seeing Dad. I wasn’t sure, but I guess that’s why I ended up here.”

 

She sat quietly for a few minutes, staring forlornly at the house. Taking a deep breath, she stood, smiled down at Toby’s grave, and said, “Wish me luck, Toby.” She left her mother’s garden and walked warily toward the back door.

 

The age-worn steps creaked under her feet, and a cold shiver washed over her body. Was it an omen?

 

We’re a family. I need to make amends. Mom would want me to put our family together again.

 

Beth closed her eyes for a moment, "Okay, Mom, here I go." She tugged on the screen door. It had been sticking for years, but her dad never got around to the repairs. Opening the back door, she stepped into the kitchen. Her heart began to race, and her breath was ragged as she remembered the night she left. Visions of cowering in the corner, pressing her body against the cupboards, screaming for her dad to stop beating her flashed across her mind. The feeling of being trapped like an animal was more than she could stomach. Her mind said run!

  

This was a mistake. I can’t face him. I can’t. Turn around and get out while you can.

 

Afraid to turn her back on the room, she moved backward toward the door. Her hand reached behind her and wrapped around the doorknob. She'd never felt so terrified in her life.

 

The sound of her father’s voice across the kitchen stopped her. Her heart was pounding in her eardrums. Her body trembled uncontrollably. She was wrong; this moment was far worse.

 

Dwight leaned against the door frame, having continued to imbibe after leaving Last Chance. His bloodshot eyes and reddish face gave him the appearance of being Satan's twin. His gurgling laugh could have been a soundtrack from a horror movie.

 

“So, the wandering child returns to the fold,” Dwight smirked at Beth with loathing. “Women, always looking for a handout when they can’t do it on their own.” He belched disgustingly and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. 

 

“Da…” She gagged at saying the word. “Dad, I’m not here to fight.”

 

“Nah, just a snot nose kid who got too big for her britches.” He laughed maliciously, “Taught you a lesson though, didn’t I?”

 

“It’s ...it’s Mom’s birthday. Did you remember?”

 

“Why should I? She’s gone. No good to me anymore.” He staggered to the refrigerator in search of another beer.

 

"Don’t! Don’t talk about mom that way.” Anger began to replace her fear. “She’s the best thing that ever happened to you.”

 

“Well, it certainly wasn’t you. Got yourself in a heap of trouble.” Another hysterical laugh erupted from his vulgar mouth, followed by several smelly belches. “Expect me to save your sorry ass, do you?”

 

“I just want you to tell the truth. How could you tell people such garbage?”

 

Dwight moved across the room, using the refrigerator and table to balance himself. “My word against yours. Who do you think they’ll believe? So far, I’ve talked a good game.”

 

“I could go to the police and show them my back.”

 

“So what? You’ve been living on the streets. Some other bastard could have done it. Maybe you like’em rough.”

 

“You’re sick!” Beth yanked the door open. “I shouldn’t have come.”

 

“Where you think you’re going?” He grabbed Beth’s arm, and she struggled to loosen his grip.

 

“Stop! I’m leaving.” Her head was spinning; the dizziness threatened her consciousness. Tears clouded her vision. Short, sharp gasps of air were all she could manage as her chest tightened with fear. “Stop it! Let me go!”

 

Lust raged in Dwight’s eyes, and he yanked her against his hairy chest. “You want to make amends. Let me show you how your mother and I use to make amends.” His right hand clamped her breast and twisted. She screamed in pain and jerked. Dwight stumbled backward against the kitchen table.

 

Thoughts of survival blocked all rational decisions from Beth’s mind. She grabbed a carving knife from the wooden block next to the stove without any real plan. Squeezing it like a lifeline, she brandished it in the air, pointing it at her father. 

 

“Oh, now she’s a big bad killer.” He made an animated shiver, mocking her.“OOOO! Look, I’m scared.”

 

“Just stay away from me.” She tried to move sideways toward the door without taking her eyes off him.

 

He lunged at her, ripping her shirt with his hand as she pulled away. Her heart was pounding so hard, and she couldn’t breathe. “Come here, bitch.” Her fingers loosened, and the knife fell to the floor.

 

Panicking, she screamed. Dwight instantly retaliated with a stinging slap across her face. He pushed her, making her body bend over the tabletop while his lips slobbered against her neck.

 

The sound of someone pounding on the front door became Beth’s salvation. Dwight’s eyes widened, and he froze. Sobbing hysterically, she shoved him aside and fled out the back door. 

 

**********

 

Hank Armato knocked on the Culbertson front door again. He’d hoped to have a chance to talk to Dwight with the pretense of trying to locate his daughter. When no one answered, the PI left the porch and stepped to the side of the house, checking for a car. Instead, he saw Beth running across the yard. 

 

The gate was locked. Hank called Beth’s name, but the frightened girl disappeared into the night.




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Nancy - Owner of Last Chance and Dwight's mistress
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Jesse - A risky choice of friends for Tyson and bartender at Last Chance
Miguel - Jesse's partner in crime
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Virginia (Gigi) - caseworker and sidekick to Bert
Detective Ric Santiago
Hank Arnato - retired detective and currently Private Investigator
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Peter Rotello - Nate's son
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.