Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 15, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Grateful for validation; demoralized by implication

The State Hath Decreed: Disabled

by Elizabeth Emerald


My daughter, having become increasingly debilitated by the devastation of Multiple Sclerosis, resigned from her job, amid sorrow on both ends, a year ago last month.

Lauren had been diagnosed eight-and-a-half years ago, at which time she was mid-way through her first semester of nursing school.

After taking a leave of absence for a term, Lauren re-enrolled, earned her degree, and passed the licensure exam. She was hired forthwith to tend to patients in the local Emergency Room, having spent the prior six years admitting patients therein. 

After three grueling years in the ER, Lauren took a position in a private school, where she spent the subsequent two-and-a-half years, and from which she "retired" last March, at the age of 31.

Lauren had agonized over the decision; she loved "her" kids and vice versa. The tipping point was her realization that her cognitive function was impaired. Intermittently, without forewarning, Lauren would feel "foggy"; she could not in good conscience continue to tend patients. 

Fortuitously, albeit not fortunately, Lauren's departure was concomitant with the commencement of Coronaphobia; the school unceremoniously shut down before she could say her goodbyes.

The upside of the confluence of Corona and Lauren's resignation was that she was deemed eligible for unemployment benefits, which she's been receiving ever since. Furthermore, given that Lauren's weakened immune system, compromised by MS, renders her susceptible to infection, she is not obliged to seek work during the pandemic.

Regardless, Lauren's condition has progressed to the point that the pandemic per se is moot. After undergoing a series of cognitive tests, which confirmed her deficits, and a brain scan, which images were rife with lesions, Lauren applied for "disablity benefits" (a cringe-worthy oxymoron). 

By system default, one must be deemed disabled beyond a reasonable doubt in order to be granted benefits. In general, the petitioner is denied, after which s/he is obliged to file an appeal ... which, after a year or so, is denied ... after which s/he files a second appeal ... which, after a year or so succeeds.

Lauren, having accrued the supporting documentation of medical findings and doctors' reports, submitted the packet to the disability board last month, and hunkered down for the long haul.

Lauren was told that the verdict would be forthcoming, likely within the month.

Yesterday, Lauren received the letter she'd been expecting.

She will not be appealing their decision.

The ruling was in her favor.

For the rest of her life, my daughter will be taken care of by the State of Massachusetts. 

As she read the letter, Lauren sobbed, overwhelmed with gratitude and relief.

And with despair that she has been officially deemed "disabled."







 



Recognized

#12
April
2021


Helza Blaze by MoonWillow on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.