Children Fiction posted April 13, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The new dog at daycare longs for friends.

Daisy, The Digging Dog

by Leann DS

Choose a Letter Contest Winner 
Daisy daydreamed while dozing in the divine daffodil garden. Dazzling drops of sunlight danced on her white coat dotted with dark dots. Despite the dandy day, Daisy was a dog down in the dumps.

More than dragons desire to devour damsels in distress... More than dentists desire drilling decay... More than detectives desire disguises... Daisy desired to be a digging duo. Daisy wanted a friend at her new daycare. Daisy wanted to dig. Daisy wanted to dig with her friend at daycare. Dig, dig, dig all day. Daisy wanted to dig in the dirt.

But the other dogs at doggy daycare didn't want to play with Daisy. They would deride and demean her. David Dachshund decided the other dogs shouldn't be Daisy's friend, and called her names and laughed at her. Daisy didn't like being different. Daisy dallied around all day at the daycare, down and depressed.

While daisy daydreamed of digging with a friend, her Dalmatian dad came to get her for dinner. He saw that Daisy was down.

"Daisy, my darling daughter, do you need Dad to deliver you from your doldrums?"

"Dad, the dogs at daycare said I'm different. They don't want to dig with me," declared Daisy.

"From your Doberman mother, you derived your dependability, dauntless determination, and dreamy, dark brown Doberman eyes. From dear old Dad," he said with delight, "you got a dignified demeanor, and my darling dots! Dare I say that you, dear daughter, are delightful?"

"David Dachshund tells the other dogs that I am disgusting and dumb. David declared that if the other dogs dig with me, they are disgusting and dumb too." Tears dripped from Daisy's downcast but dreamy, Doberman eyes.

Dad dazed at Daisy in disbelief. "You are a desirable friend. Don't be discouraged. Tomorrow at daycare, dig in the dirt. When you detect a dog directing attention toward you, invite that dog to join your digging. Once they discover how dynamic you are, they will desire to dig with you day in and day out. They just don't know you yet."

Daisy said she would do her darndest.

The next day, Daisy was determined. At recess, she discovered a delicious digging spot. Daisy dug. Her endeavors were so directed on digging that she almost didn't detect two other dogs drawing nearer.

"Do you desire to dig?" Daisy asked the Dorkie and the Dandie Dinmont Terrier dancing before her.

"Do we?" Exclaimed the Dorkie.

"We'd be delighted to dig in the dirt with you," declared the Dandie Dinmont Terrier.

Daisy was astonished. "Let's dig!" Daisy said.

So they dug.

In the distance, Daisy heard David Dachshund declaring to all the dogs, "Look at those disgusting and dumb dogs digging!"

Daisy and her two new digging friends didn't devote any attention to David. They kept digging.

Double quickly, three other dogs had joined them. They were a digging party. Dig, dig, dig.

Directly, more dogs joined the digging. Dig, dig.

David Dachshund was defeated.

Daisy drew close to David who sat discomfited alone under the dogwood tree by the driveway. "David Dachshund, do you desire to dig with us?"

"Is digging dangerous or difficult?" David inquired, looking discouraged.

"Don't be daft!" Daisy declared dismissively. "Digging is decadent!"

"Digging does look divine," David determined.

"Definitely," Daisy agreed. "Come on! There's decent dirt for all."

From that day, Daisy was deemed the "Digging Dog of Daycare." All the other dogs loved to dig with Daisy. Daisy always had a friend to dig with. Daisy's digging dreams developed into reality, and all Daisy had to do was be devoted to her Dalmatian-Doberman digging dog self.



Choose a Letter
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Leann DS All rights reserved.
Leann DS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.