Romance Fiction posted April 10, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A dream to search the world

Wanderlust

by Begin Again












Even as a child, Jai Li was special. Her long jet-black hair cascaded over her shoulders, setting off her soft almond eyes and fair skin. Her chosen name spoke of her virtues, good and beautiful. She had simple dreams; she believed in caring and nurturing all living creatures she loved. 

 

Tonight would be her last time with the man she adored. Cheng, so named for his wandering spirit, could not contain his excitement. He’d spent the day at the docks, loading the Alibaba, as it prepared to sail. Jai Li had carefully prepared their sweet and sour chicken meal, wanting their last dinner to be memorable. The last little piece of her dream.

 

After dinner, they sipped red wine and sat beneath the pale moonlight. She was quiet, afraid to speak, not wanting to show her breaking heart. On the other hand, Cheng couldn’t stop telling her all the stories he’d heard about where the Alibaba would sail. His enthusiasm was bountiful, and his words painted exotic pictures of faraway lands. 

 

Cheng kissed her goodnight. Her arms clung to him, not wanting to say goodbye. She could not tell him to stay; to give up his dreams for her would be wrong. Jai Li would sacrifice her desires so Cheng would be free to follow his own.

 

As the sun peeked over the horizon, Jai Li dressed and hurried to the docks. She chose a spot where she could watch him but not be seen. She couldn’t help but smile as he joked and laughed with the crew as they worked. It was obvious how happy he was, and she felt ashamed. Her dreams weren’t his, and she must accept his will.

 

Finally, the Alibaba was loaded and set sail. Swatting away the tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks, she’d lost sight of Cheng. Her eyes scoured the deck of the ship, but he was no longer there. Her heart had begged her to run to him, but she couldn’t, and now he was gone.

 

Leaving her hiding spot, she walked to the water’s edge and watched the Alibaba sail away until she could no longer see it on the horizon. Only then did she fall to the sand, weeping and pounding the sand with her fists. 

 

The ocean waves lapping against the shore mocked her. She heard the gentle call of her name. “Jai Li … Jai Li.”

 

She raised her head, listening and wanting it to be him. Through her tear-stained eyes, she thought she saw someone running toward her, calling her name. Her mind was playing evil tricks. She imagined Cheng calling her.

 

Her dream found life as he scooped her into his arms and pulled her tight against him.

His voice trembled, “Jai Li, my love, why do you cry?”

 

Her sad eyes searched his face as a sob escaped her lips. “You left me,” she whimpered.

 

Cradling her face between his hands, Cheng's voice caressed her, “Jai Li, I’m right here. I’d never leave you. My heart beats with yours, and it’s here I will stay.

 

“But, I saw you loading the ship. Last night, you were full of dreams, and what worldly adventures await.”

 

“Oh, sweet Jai Li, I am a wanderer by name, an adventurer in dreams, but my heart belongs to you.” He pressed her hand against his chest. “It belongs to you.” 

 

He gently brushed her lips with his. “Together, hand in hand, until we sail into the ever-after together. What an adventure that will be.”

 

“Forever?”

 

“Forever.”




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.