Humor Fiction posted April 9, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Lesson Learned -

I Can Make You Laugh

by Begin Again


















Jacob was learning to be a stand-up comedian. Today, his professor arranged for him to practice with younger students.

As he approached the first classroom, Jacob read a note taped to the door. “Please sign.” 

He quickly scribbled his name across the paper and entered the classroom. Twelve smiling nine-year-olds sat quietly, awaiting his performance. 

He introduced himself and then began his comedy routine. He’d practiced and practiced, so he was sure he would be a hit. Excited, he tossed out his first joke.

“The best way to communicate with a fish is to drop them a line.”  No one laughed. He pretended to toss out a fishing line, but not even a smile.


He tried again. “A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.” He flapped his arms and strutted back and forth. One boy looked at his friend and shook his head. 

Jacob was desperate. He couldn’t imagine what he was doing wrong. Never had there been such a tough crowd.  Determined to make them laugh, he took a deep breath and tried once more.

“The best way to stop a charging bull is to take away his credit card.” He made horns with his fingers, scuffed his feet, and snorted. Once again, there were no laughs.

Frustrated, he decided to give it one last try.

“Why are fish so smart?” He paused and then gave them the punch line.  “Because they live in schools.”

When no one laughed, he bowed and thanked them. He was a failure. A comedian that couldn’t make a kid laugh, now that was sad. 

The teacher met Jacob in the hallway. She could see something was wrong. “Everything okay, Jacob?

“No! They didn’t think I was funny. Not one single laugh.” 

“Hmmm - you did read the sign on the door, right?”

“Yes, ma’am. That’s my signature right there.”

The teacher chuckled and squeezed Jacob. “The children in this class are deaf. That’s why it said, “Please sign.”




Recognized


Examples of Puns for Kids: Wordplay for Laughs & Learning
https://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-puns-for-kids.html

Of course, the puns are not my own since I'm not that clever.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.