Romance Fiction posted April 6, 2021 Chapters:  ...6 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Chances for change in life may come.

A chapter in the book One Sunny Night

One Sunny Night-Chapter 10

by Alaskastory




Background
Preceding chapters: After a project at Alaska University, a flying adventure with Stewart, Danielle returned home to her job in Kansas City, broke up with boyfriend, visited her family, then took anot
Returning to her desk, Danielle's first task was to book on to a flight north. She then made a call to her family. Before she could mention the trip, her mother took over in excited words.

"I just got a note from your pilot friend who saved your life from that bear. Stewart wrote a sweet note saying he loved the fudge I sent him. He said it was delicious. What made them good was some of the black walnuts Emily Brown always gives me."

"Did his note say anything else?"

"Oh, his note is in clear handwriting, every word readable. Not scribbled, like your father does. And he mentioned you too, Dani."

"Mom, what did he say about me?"

"Well, hold your phone, I'll go get the card and read that line."

Danielle waited impatiently, thinking it was foolish of her to intensely want to know every word he had written.

"I found it. Dani, are you still there on the phone?"

"Yes, just read it, Mom."

"Okay, it says, 'Tell your lovely daughter I think of her often'. That's what it says. Isn't that nice?"

"It....it is." Danielle's eyes closed. A quiver washed through her.

"Hello, you still there, Dani?"

Danielle took in a breath and cleared her voice. "Yes, Mom." She went into giving details about her next week's flight to Fairbanks.

"So soon? Well, it's good you will see that young man and can tell him I appreciate receiving his thank-you card."

"I'm unlikely to see him. All my business will be at the University. I'll be there only three days."

"Dani, you owe that man more gratitude for saving your life. Be sure to see him. Let him know how thankful you are and your family too."

After offering agreement, Danielle exited the phone.

That evening, Ginger broached the same subject. "Your mother seems to be saying flattering words about Stewart Bryant. She tends to look right through you, thinking you love talking about that man."

A look in Ginger's bright brown eyes made Danielle smile. "Are you and Mom prompting me to start dating again? Romance is a thing of my past. I quit that nearly two months ago. I'm done."

Ginger removed two pecan pies from the oven.

"Wait, on second thought, you better not go after that commercial coal man. You better stick to conservationists."

"Well, there is another reason why Stewart is out of my reach. A single, young pretty gal, who is very pregnant, lives in his ranch house. Her mother is his longtime housekeeper."

"Wow, hard to believe you didn't tell me about that until now. Will he marry her?"

Danielle shrugged, then plunged a knife into one of the pies. "Starla told me she plans to take over the most luxurious bedroom I have ever seen."

"Hmm." Looking puzzled, Ginger turned away. "I'll get ice cream to go with our pie. Don't slice mine as big as yours."

"I wish you could get away from the bakery and fly up there with me. But I know you and Tom are working at your fantastic plan to start a gourmet food truck."

Ginger's attention fell into the details of her ambitious project. Danielle listened with moments of envy over how confident her dear friend was in both her career and love life.

In the next few days, Danielle tried to work on both sides of the dam project, attempting to clarify both the benefit of electrical power and its threat to wildlife. By the time she headed to the airport, she was filled with doubt about what she would say to legislators. For the first time in her career, she did not feel confident or worthy of her job. Yet she was required to make a presentation to state leaders in Alaska.

Danielle's flight began in the middle of the night and landed in Fairbanks late in the afternoon. She had received an email from one of her friends at the University, Rhonda, who would meet her. Walking down a ramp at the airport, she spotted the tall, athletic gal with a broad smile.

"Never expected to ever see you again, Danielle." Rhonda greeted with a hug, then grabbed the suitcase and carried it out to her car. "You are looking as classy as you were."

"Ha, you know how to please me, and you are so full energy, Rhonda. Tell me about Dixie, Gabe, Ron, and Curtiss. Are you all still having good times together?"

"Oh yeah, but Dixie and Curtiss like getting off by themselves. Getting to be serious."

"That is really good news." Relief flooded over Danielle's thoughts of an effort by Curtiss to capture her.

The drive ended beside the hotel entrance. "Dixie would have come with me tonight to meet you, but she rushed off to the hospital. Her cousin, Starla, is about to have a baby."

"Oh, oh. Really?" Danielle stumbled awkwardly out the car door.

"Hey, you're pretty tired. A long flight. I'll take your bags in if you want."

"No, I'm fine. I'll call tomorrow. Let's get a lunch together on Saturday or Sunday. Thanks for meeting me, Rhonda." She pulled her suitcase to the hotel door.

At the registration desk, Danielle's first question to the hotel clerk was, "Do you know what the visiting hours are at the hospital?"




Character List:
Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, new man in her life
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend at work
Social Friends: Ron,Gabe,Ivar,Rhonda,Dixie
Mr. Wright, company owner
Kevin Harbeson, boyfriend in Kansas
Ginger Kellar, housemate in Kansas
Starla Frost, young pregnant woman
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.