Romance Fiction posted March 28, 2021 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Katherine sees more of Gabriel than she's ready for.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 13 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys need?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

At the office door, Gabriel opened it. "I heard you accepted the coaching job." He glanced at her hand. "Where'd you get permission slips?" He grinned. "Since you said I also have them, I'd better make sure I have some. It'll be nice working with you."

Katherine glanced toward her room. "Mr. Green's watching my class. I need to hurry."

"Catch up with you later." He watched her walk away. "You did a good job over the intercom."

She continued toward her classroom.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 part 2

When Katherine and Daisy stepped out the front door for their morning jog, Gabriel and Reggie were waiting. She smiled when she saw Gabriel doing jumping jacks. "Are you posing for the camera?"

"We got here a little early and got tired of running in place."

Katherine glanced at her watch. "I'm four minutes early. I'm not late. You could've gone on."

"I don't want you running in the dark, plus I was anxious to find out how you're feeling about coaching?"

"A little nervous, but okay." She set her watch. "Let's get going. I have a busy day." She hesitated. "Joshua has football games Thursdays at 4:30. If I accept, I'll miss them. I'll need to figure that out."

"Dad announces the games. Why don't I ask him to video the game and you can watch them later?"

"Mom and the younger boys could represent the family, and I could still see them. Do you think your dad would mind?"

"I know he'd like to help."

As they jogged, both dogs faced the same direction and growled.

Gabriel turned his head. "I guess our buddy's keeping track."

"I'd feel better if he gave up."

"Me too." He paused. "To change the subject, how'd your first day go?"

"I'm afraid if I talk about it, I might jinx it. It went surprisingly well. It couldn't have gone any better." Katherine faced Gabriel. "How'd your first day in the classroom go? You didn't have time to prep or set up the room."

"It went well. We did calisthenics the entire period," he teased.

"I know better, but you just found out Monday and then agreed to teach both classes. How does one prepare?"

Gabriel chuckled. "You don't. You just go with it. History was always my favorite subject, so it won't be a problem. If it were math or science, I'd have to prep."

"Don't you need to take a test to show competency? I did. They didn't just accept my degree."

"This isn't the first time. My first year here, I took all the history competencies. I just haven't needed them for..." he paused to think, "maybe two years." He grinned. "I'm glad you showed up. I'm not sure I could pass the math competencies."

Katherine's timer went off. "Time to start back." As they did, she continued, "I feel that way about the English. I doubt I could pass them. I enjoy reading, but when it comes to the classics, I find them pretty boring."

"So if I quote Shakespeare, you'd be lost?"

Her eyes widened. "You quote Shakespeare?"

"No, I was just asking." He chuckled. "Do I look like somebody who's read any of the classics?"

"Not really."

"Good. I was afraid I needed to up my workout."

"Your workout keeps you in perfect condition." Katherine stopped in her tracks. "That's not what I meant."

He touched her arm. "I know what you meant. Don't worry about it."

Standing on the sidewalk, Katherine glanced at her door. "I'll see you at school sometime today."

"You will. Don't forget I need the number and names of cross country girls for the school board meeting tonight. It starts at six-thirty." He teased, "Glad you think my workout routine keeps me looking good."

As she ran to her front door, she called, "You're incorrigible."

"I know."

*****
At school, Katherine dropped off Gabriel's coffee in the office and headed toward her classroom. She stood at the door and scanned the room. I'd say I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I hope today goes as well as yesterday.

Three girls came to her. The taller one asked, "You're Mrs. Riley, right?" After she indicated she was, the girl continued, "We're interested in girls' cross country. Can we sign up?"

"Sure, follow me and I'll get your names and give you the paper to bring back tomorrow night for the physical."

About the time they finished, students entered the room, and class began.

During lunch, Katherine sent out an all-school email reminding staff members she needed the names of girls wanting to participate in cross country by the end of the business day.

*****
After the final bell, girls came to her classroom wanting the paperwork and more information about cross country. It was after five-thirty before the girls left. Katherine had eleven girls interested.

She opened the computer, checked her emails, and discovered four more were interested. I'm wondering if that allows me a helper. Fifteen teenage girls are a lot. Should I speak with Gabriel or Mr. Edwards? She opened a new document and started typing. "I'd better get this list together." She began typing.

After Katherine finished, she checked the time. It's six o'clock. I'd better hurry. Gabriel's probably still at practice. I'll leave it on his desk. She gathered her things and headed toward the locker rooms. I'm sure his office is in that area. Surely it'll be labeled.

She entered the locker room section of the school and glanced around. "Why isn't the Athletic Director's office labeled?" She opened a door and walked in. "Maybe it's in here."

As she stood inside, Gabriel walked in wearing a towel and using another one to dry his hair. "Kate, what are you doing in the male locker room?"

She turned around so her back was to him. "Looking for you."

"You found me."

She held up the paper. "I have the list of girls interested in cross country."

"Good. The meeting's in less than thirty minutes. Are you going to give it to me or hold it?"

"You're not dressed."

"I know. I thought I'd better shower before the meeting, and then you showed up." He chuckled. "I didn't think it was possible but even your arms are blushing."

She set the paper on the floor. "Here's the list." She ran out the door.

Mr. Edwards passed her in the hall. "Mrs. Riley, are you all right?"

"No!"

*****
He opened the door and walked in. "Gabe, what did you do to Mrs. Riley? She ran out of here like..." He closed his eyes. "You didn't."

"I didn't do anything but walk out of the shower. I guess nobody told her she wasn't allowed in the male locker room. I wasn't expecting her or any female. I'm just trying to get ready for the meeting. At your feet is the list she brought. That's as close as she came."


CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a man wearing a towel. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1000 words. Thank you for having patience with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.