Children Non-Fiction posted March 25, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The seasons of my childhood

Hoodie Season

by Leann DS

I stretch my arms toward the smooth, amber globe on my bedroom ceiling. The morning sunlight illuminates the glass reminding me of the harvest moon. Quickly, I pull my arms back under the thin blanket to remove the goose bumps that were raised in the cool, morning air of September. Suddenly, I remember what today is: it is the first day of school!

I look out my window and see a squirrel hopping from branch to branch in the maple tree. Soon, the maple's leaves will turn golden, then orange, then carpet the yard. Next weekend, when I go to Grandma's house, we will collect acorns and buckeyes that have fallen to the ground. But best of all, I will be allowed to wear the new, burgundy sweat shirt jacket that I got. It is finally "hoodie season."

*****

I stretch my arms toward the smooth, amber globe on my bedroom ceiling. Outside it is still black as pitch, and the dark light in my dark room is barely visible. Quickly, I pull my arms back under the warm, thick comforter to enjoy one more moment of coziness before plunging into the shocking, December air of my bedroom. Suddenly, I remember what today is: it is holiday party day at school!

I look out my window through the bare branches of the maple tree and see a white tailed deer leaping back into its home in the woods. Last night, it snowed, and a white carpet covers the ground and frosts the maple's limbs. Next weekend when I go to Grandma's house, we are going to take a walk and find pinecones. We will cover them with peanut butter and birdseed and hang them in her pear tree to feed the birds who didn't fly south for the winter. But right now, I need to get dressed and find my warm clothes. It is "mitten season."

*****

I stretch my arms toward the smooth, amber globe on my bedroom ceiling. The sun, just beginning to peek over the hilltop, casts shadows of the maple tree across my room. Quickly, I pull my arms back under the loosely knit afghan to hide them from the scary looking shapes that appear to be reaching out for me in the chilly, March morning light. Suddenly, I remember what today is: it is field day at school!

I look out the window, and watch the sparrows and robins in the maple tree. I can hear them chirping their morning songs. I notice the maple branches growing tiny green sprouts. I think they will turn into leaves. Next weekend when I go to Grandma's house, we are going to plant flowers in her window boxes. She said that I am old enough to help now. She always has the prettiest flowers in the neighborhood. But the most exciting thing is that I am allowed to wear my new white sneakers. It is finally "tennis shoe season."

*****

I stretch my arms toward the smooth, amber globe on my bedroom ceiling. The morning sun shines through my window, heating my room like an oven. Quickly, I kick the pretty, yellow bedspread to the foot of my bed hoping it will relieve me from the sweltering June sunshine, but it doesn't. Suddenly, I remember what today is: it is the first day of summer break!

I look out my bedroom window at the plush green maple tree. I will sit under it today and read my book, and it will provide me with shade from the hot summer sun. Maybe I will climb the tree and hide in the leaves. Next week, when I go to Grandma's house, we will sit on the porch watching the bees buzz around in her garden, and we will drink lemonade. But best of all, I can swim in the lake and our pool every day. It is finally "swimsuit season."



Child's memory of changing seasons contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Leann DS All rights reserved.
Leann DS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.