Humor Flash Fiction posted March 13, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shipping Saga with a Twist

Losing Track: UPS? OOOPS!

by Elizabeth Emerald


Last Tuesday, my friend Chuck sent, via Fed-Ex, a meticulously-packaged oil painting to his sister Mary.

The artist, so to speak, was Mary's (very) late father, Charlie; Mary, in sharp dissent from her siblings, had been fond of the painting, a sun-and-sea-scape.

Mary's mother, who'd kept the painting for its sentimental, versus its aesthetic, value, died in July. Mary, having flown from Wisconsin to Massachusetts to help clean out her mother's apartment, had to depart without the painting; it was too bulky to take on the plane.  

Chuck, determined that Mary should have the painting, decided to surprise her. He crafted, out of heavy cardboard, a sturdy travel case. For a whimsical touch, he enclosed a faux authentication document, meticulous in its detail, painstakingly proof-rereread. The final flourish was an intentional malapropism; he dubbed himself "circumcised" (versus "certified") appraiser.

The package was due to arrive today; Chuck asked me to go online and confirm that it had been delivered. 

I entered the tracking number: No record found.

I selected "requesting phone call from customer service"; the phone rang seconds after I entered my number.

The representative confirmed that there was no shipment registered under that number. At our response to her query as to the location of the drop-off, she informed us there was no UPS box at that address.

Mystery solved: Chuck had sent the package by Fed-Ex.







 



Recognized


Sunrise in Fantasy Land by Angelheart on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Angelheart at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.