General Poetry posted March 9, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dreaming of a place before traveling there.

Dream of En Gedi

by C2


Dream of En Gedi
 
Cabo San Lucas
asleep on the soft warm sand--
dream of a desert

He dreamed they lived in En Gedi in the shade of its lush foliage drinking water from the rocks and feeding each other the skin of dates. They slept in caves with floors covered in dark, comfortable moss and awoke each morning to the fragrance of henna blooms and balsam. Their girls were there too, playing a game of tag with the small furry hyrax that inhabit the grassy meadows of the canyon's seam. Over the echo of their giggles, he could just make out the clip-clop of the ibex making their way up the rocky crags to forage for sweet, juicy sprigs.

In his dream he knew things that I did not remember learning. For instance, he knew that the stream formed by the waterfall was called the Nahal David, "the stream of David," and that twenty miles to the north was the ancient community of Qumran where the famous scrolls were unearthed by a shepherd boy in 1947. He knew too that ten miles to the south, there appeared on the horizon the imposing rock fortress of Masada, built long ago by Herod the Great.

He knew leopards were reported to live in the area but were never seen.
 



Haibun Poem contest entry


About thirty-five miles south of Jerusalem on the western shore of the Dead Sea there is an oasis called En Gedi. David used to hide there during King Saul's famous fits of jealous rage. There is a canyon with walls nearly 1,600 feet high and numerous natural hot springs pouring forth from its sides. Despite its stark and desolate surroundings, this desert paradise produces life of every kind--even palms. Its ancient name is Hazezon Tamar, "the pruning of palms."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. C2 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
C2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.