Biographical Poetry posted March 7, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alone on a street

Finding My Way

by amada


I remember crossing my street alone, for the first time, at age five.   
 
My grandmother, barely five feet,watched from the doorstep.  She stood tall, like a sentinel.  Her arms crossed in front, steady stare, without missing a wink. 
 
The sun was high that morning, like an enormous welcoming balloon. The air on my cheeks felt like a caress. The breeze carried the rumor of voices from the nearby open market. The aroma of fresh-baked bread teased my nose, and the roar of spirited voices rang in my ears.

Liberating feeling of being airborne in a magical carousel. No arms to hold me; no matter how sweet those arms. I stretched out and turned around slowly, as if embracing the entire world, and somehow I saw a glow in everything I saw...

The sun stroked the pebbles on my street. Playfully, they caressed my bare feet and the shape of my toes, as my toes hugged their shape--a touch that felt like the rose petal's embrace--and my heart glowed.
 
discovery spell—   
raw pebbles under my feet
walking in midair

  ~  ~

 
 
 



Haibun Poem contest entry

Recognized

#73
March
2021


A memory of my sweet grandmother and my early wishes for independence.
Thank you for reading my work.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amada All rights reserved.
amada has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.