Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 5, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Don't want to bother to read all contest entries? Abstain!

By Popular Vote: Flying Blind?

by Elizabeth Emerald


Jest Alert:

My Triple-Crown-worthy steeds have long declined to ride in StoryLand's rigged races. Thus, I have no cause to grind my axe on the skulls of the shameless bribe-takers who'd bypass my proffered pittance in favor of the highest bid amongst the suck-ups.  

End Jest 

Gist of the Jest: I have nothing at stake here; I speak on behalf of those who do.

Several fans have been disheartened to note that the number of "reads" (skims? view/skips?) of their entries were fewer than the sum of votes across the pool.


If you choose to cast votes in member-sponsored contests (or for book/story/poem of the month), you are honor-bound to read all the entries before casting your vote.

Given that there are about a dozen entries per contest, the commitment is considerable. It doesn't help that entries are displayed in random rotation; when you hop back into the list to read the "next" entry, you lose track of which you've read; thus you may inadvertently miss a couple.

For these reasons, I rarely participate. I prefer to invest proportionate effort, when results are announced, to honor all who are recognized, via congratulatory reviews of their work. 


Though it is tempting to cast your vote for a piece you'd already deemed six-star-worthy, I propose you consider my post-facto approach.

And if the one you wanted to win, didn't: Message the writer and spew out your outrage on his behalf. 









 



Recognized


When you wish upon the stars by Angelheart on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Angelheart at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.