Writing Fiction posted March 2, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A 250 word Flash Fiction entry.

Jesse James' Gold

by Dick Waters


“There’s nothing about ‘climb’ in there. I’m telling you, I’m correct. Read it for yourself.” Paul hurled the map at his friend.

“Okay, okay. Give me a minute to see what it says again.” Terry sat down, took a drink out of his canteen, and studied the map.

Several minutes later, he slowly read the map instructions out loud.
“Facing the “T” opening to the cave,
walk back to your left, keeping the T on your right,
until the T looks like a rectangle.
Look around you for a J and a backwards J scratched into the face of a boulder.”

Terry looked back at the cave opening. “Like I said, we still need another coordinate. We’ve been walking this line for hours now.”

“You’re a fool, Terry, for paying $50 for this map. They make copies of it, and sell them to the next sucker who comes in the door,” Paul exclaimed, knocking Terry off his perch, which sent the canteen flying.

Terry jumped up to retaliate, crashed into Paul, knocking him over and onto the ground. He cocked his arm to throw a punch. That’s when he spotted it.

Paul couldn’t understand why his friend had a huge smile. “So, are you going to throw that punch, or are we even?”

Terry started laughing. “Even is just the starting point. You’re not going to believe it.”
 




Picture courtesy of K.S. Brooks (www.indiesunlimited.com) the prompt for this week's flash fiction competition on that site is 'climb.'
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.