General Non-Fiction posted March 2, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My Mother's Sayings

To June, With Love

by Sally Law


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My mother, June, has been gone for awhile now, but her wise words and sayings live on in me. Our parents leave something of themselves in us, visible or not. 
 
My brother, Mike, has her deep, brown eyes; Robert has her thick, wavy hair. Suzy is blessed with her genius, mathematical brain, and I got her wicked sense of humor and quick wit. 
 
All of love Christmas, know that it's better to provide for the family basics before the fancy stuff, and how to work hard.
 
Mom was outspoken and had opinions on everything. We didn't always agree; but now that she's gone, I see the pearls of wisdom and riotous humor that poured from her lips. 
 
Today, a few gems before I forget. 
 
June on the IRS: They get ya coming, and they get ya going! 
 
June on politics: A politician smiles while he picks your pocket, then has the gall to ask for a donation.
 
June on God, Round One: Why didn't God warn me about your father? Why? 
Me: Would you have listened?
 
June on God, Round Two: I told God I loved him today. 
 
June on the Bible: I get a bit tangled up in the thees and thous. 
 
June on the wicked: I would really like to be the one to write their epitaph. 
 
June when I asked for a bra: What for? Come back when you have something, and we'll talk.
 
June on fashion: Bother to look nice and present yourself in the best light. Always have a black dress handy in case someone dies suddenly, which they invariably do.
 
June on job interviews:  Look polished and sit up straight. Wear basic makeup... nothing too garrish. Lipstick, mascara, and little pressed powder will do. 
 
June on sex: Sex is for marriage. Anyone can make a baby. It's the raising of the child that counts. 
 
June on men: If you don't marry Jackson,  I'll never speak to you again.
 
June on finances: Spend less than you make and set aside money for a rainy day. Balance you checkbook every week. 
 
June on car purchases: You bought a new car on your lunch break? Sally Marie, what the devil where you thinking
 
June on menopause: This excess weight has got to go. I suppose I'll have to cut back on the Milky Way bars I'm eating to help with the depression. A depressing thought
 
June on smoking: Smoking is my only rest and relaxation. Again, your father
 
June on drinking: Drinking ruined your father. Alcohol excess is an evil that's hard to overcome. 
 
June on winning the Florida lottery: If I win the lottery this week, I'm buying you a new house, new car, new wardrobe, vacation home, and paying for the boys college tuition.
 
Never a day goes by that I don't think about my mother. May I say she loved the color blue, baseball, and hotdogs dotted with mustard. She would fish from the pier in New Smyrna Beach for hours and not catch a thing. "Maybe tomorrow," she'd say of the fish, as if they were conspiring against her.
 
She would be 99 this year if she were still living. To me, she's still alive in my memories, and not far away at all. Perhaps she's fishing....



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#4
March
2021


My mother's favorite song. I played this at her memorial service.



https://pixabay.com/illustrations/vintage-woman-woman-retro-model-5293137/@pixabay.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.