General Fiction posted February 28, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When a gossip tells a gossip, who's telling the truth?

Heard It Through The Grapevine

by Begin Again














“Morning, neighbor.” Tricia waved politely as she walked toward her car.

 

“You, too.” Priscilla looked up from painting her toes. “Look at you! Sure looking fancy. Where you headed?”

 

“Got an interview down at Casey’s Discount Store.” 

 

“Girlfriend, you should have said something. Jackson's working in their office uptown. Got himself a real nice promotion. He could’ve put in a good word for you.”

 

“Thanks, Priscilla. It’s just a cashier so I think I’ve got this.” She stepped to the curb. “Nice to hear about Jackson though.”

 

Priscilla wasn’t through talking. “Haven’t seen your boy around lately. He didn’t get into trouble, did he?” She cleared her throat,  “Always hanging with those roughnecks at the diner.” 

 

“Trevor’s busy at school. He doesn’t have time to hang out at the diner.” Tricia preferred to ignore Priscilla’s gossip.

 

“Saw him with my own eyes.”

 

Tricia snapped, “You’re wrong! It wasn’t Trevor.”

 

“Grannie Mason stopped by for coffee yesterday. She was telling me her brother, Joe, got into a card game last week in Hooligan’s backroom. He said some young blood was in there flashing a wad of Benjamins around. Might have mentioned hearing Trevor’s name.”

 

“Shut your foul mouth, woman. Don’t you be spreading rumors about my son! He’s a good boy!” 

 

“Excuuuuse me! I’m just repeating what Grannie Mason said. Word is that the South Side Crew’s recruiting boys in the neighborhood. The ones with time on their hands, hanging out down by the diner. It’s hard for some to turn their backs on all that money. Not many like my boy, Jackson, willing to work hard for his cash.” 

 

“Not Trevor! He doesn’t want anything to do with drugs. He’s going to school and about to finish his second year of classes.” Tricia checked her watch. She hated gossips. “I gotta go. I don’t want to be late.”  

 

“Mom.” A young boy raced down the street toward Priscilla and Tricia, screaming and waving his arms. “Mom, there’s been a shooting. Detective Austin told me to tell you and Priscilla to come to the hospital as fast as you can.”

 

Tricia’s mother instinct ignited. “Bobby, who got shot?” Priscilla’s gossip had hit home. “Did they say anything about Trevor?”

 

“Nothing, Mom. I was headed to school. Heard a lot of gunshots, tons of cop cars showed up-” Bobby hesitated, “Saw someone bleeding real bad.”

 

Tricia forced herself to ask, “Did you see your brother?”

 

“Earlier - I saw him talking to some guys, but it was earlier.” Bobby started to cry. “I don’t know, Mom. Can we just go to the hospital?”

 

“Sure, get in the car.” Tricia got behind the wheel.

 

“Wait up, girl.” Priscilla climbed into the front seat. “You might need a shoulder to lean on.” A bit smug, she added,  “Tried to warn you.”

 

“Shut up or get out of my car.” Tricia glared before shifting the car into gear. Priscilla didn't utter another word.

 

At the hospital, the trio rushed into the emergency room as Detective Austin stepped out of an examination room. Spotting the women, he closed the door firmly behind him. 

 

“Detective, is it my son? Is he -?” Tricia trembled.

 

“Trevor?  No, he’s getting checked out, but he’s fine. He’s been working undercover for our department, trying to stop the drugs. We made a big bust.”

 

Priscilla interrupted, “I’m confused. Was Jackson undercover, too?”

 

“Actually, he was the South Side Crew’s leader.”

 

“Not my son!” Priscilla screamed,  “Where is he? He'll tell you."

 

Detective Austin shook his head, “Sorry, Priscilla, Jackson didn’t make it.”

 

Priscilla collapsed. She needed a shoulder to lean on.




Surprise Me writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
This is a flash fiction contest. Write a story that has a surprise ending. Since it is flash, the word count must be between 200 and 600 words. The ending can be funny, sad, shocking, etc. But the reader has to be surprised.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.