Humor Fiction posted February 20, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
It also helps to have a dog biscuits in your pocket

Training Exercise

by Dick Waters


It was just a training exercise, so what could go wrong?
 
“Mr. Bellows, we’ve accounted for five of the six we buried.”

“WHAT?”

“That’s right sir, we are missing one of the volunteers.”

“Who’s the missing person?”

“Kat Brooks.”

“Not the reporter – that’s the last person we want to be missing.”

“Do we want anyone else to be missing?”

“NO, you idiot. She’s going to write a bad article about our ability to rescue people. Sh*t sh*t.”

“Sir, it’s been over an hour since we started this exercise. She’s probably panicking by now.”

“Look at ME, do I look like I’m not panicking?” He exclaimed, rotating like a dog getting its supper.

“Yeah, you look like you just peed your pants.”

“Keep that to yourself. Go collect all the dogs and bring them to the field.” He watched Eddie walking to the training area. “Don’t walk…RUN!”

He reminded himself that all of the volunteers had left their backpacks and other personal stuff over on the ski lodge entrance. He ran as fast as his legs would carry him. Seeing the single pack, he grabbed it and headed to the field. He spotted several dogs running at Eddie’s feet as he also headed to the field.

Once in the middle of the field, Gordon held out the bag to the dogs “SEARCH!”

Five minutes later, Kat, brushing off the snow, “FOUND.”

“You okay?”

“I was getting a little concerned someone had forgotten about me.”

“Nobody could do that!”
 




Size counts when you need to be rescued from an avalanche (dog biscuit size!)
This is a 250 word max flash fiction for a competition on www.indiesunlimited.com
Picture courtesy of K.S. Brooks (www.indiesunlimited.com)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.