Horror and Thriller Non-Fiction posted February 20, 2021 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Bikers literally out on a limb

A chapter in the book Blended Reality

Tree Huggers

by JLR


Disaster can strike around every bend on Highway 1, known as the Pacific coastal highway in California.

This narrow, winding two-lane road is often filled with campers, cars, motorcycles, and logging trucks. The summer months can be the worst, especially on hot days and vacationers with short tempers.

I was working with a young sales rep heading to his customer in Crescent City at the northern-most stretch of this scenic highway.

Traffic was light for that time of year. We were about 30 miles from our destination when a group of bikers came up behind us and hurtled by at speeds far beyond the speed limit, but more importantly, beyond safe limits with the limited visability, as the typical morning coastal fog drifted up and away from the nearby ocean.

Within a matter of minutes, we came to the site of a crash scene. There were ten bikers in various crashed conditions scattered on a bend in the road. As we pulled as far off the road as we could, it appeared two bikers had bailed off the bikes before their machines hit an oncoming car. Other bikers had taken extreme evasive maneuvers in which they also lost control and crashed. All but the two who bailed off their bikes seemed to be in far less trauma.

The two bikers who bailed were physically clinging to branches on two giant redwoods just downslope from the highway. Surprisingly alive, scratched-up, safely rescued.

From that day forward, I never wanted a motorcycle!



An Unexpected Rescue writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In 250 words (not including the title) write about an unexpected rescue that proved to be life-altering.

Recognized

#45
February
2021


An Unexpected Rescue In 250 words (not including the title), write about an unexpected rescue that proved to be life-altering.

Thanks for the photo by https://unsplash.com/@dmey503?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. JLR All rights reserved.
JLR has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.