General Fiction posted February 18, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
There are for some, specific moments of transition

Unplanned Transistions

by Reese Turner


One Sunday, while Jimmy, age 17, was working on his boat, there came screams from past the docks. “Burn up, just burn up, you (bum, etc). Die!”

Jimmy ran to where J.T., the maintenance man, was standing, screaming at his cabin which was bellowing smoke and had some flames visible through a window.

Jimmy grabbed J.T., “Is there somebody in there?”

“Yeah.  That bum I helped. He’s burning my house up!"

“We gotta save him. C’mon, J.T.!”

“Hell no. Let him die!”

Jimmy ran up the stairs, pushed open the door, dropped to his knees.  Under the smoke, there was an old man, on the floor, the mattress burning.  Jimmy carried him out, laid him down.  He was breathing.

Back in, Jimmy threw the mattress out the door, stomped some burning trash. Done.

An ambulance took the old man.  J.T. was cleaning up the mess. Jimmy returned to his boat, got a coke, “It wasn’t much of a fire, but I didn’t know that until I got in.  I saved a life. That feels good.”  Some boys experience moments when they feel the transition to man. Oh, we keep most of the boy in us, but there’s enough man to handle the important stuff…

A year later, Jimmy was at Navy boot camp. His company marched to ship-fire-orientation where a labyrinth awaited. Some sailors panic when the oil fire’s lit..  Jimmy just smiled as his group got positioned. “Guys, I’ve sort of done this.  No big deal. Enjoy the ride.”

 



An Unexpected Rescue writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In 250 words (not including the title) write about an unexpected rescue that proved to be life-altering.


Let us celebrate and appreciate those who refuse to be witnesses when the moment calls for heros.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Reese Turner All rights reserved.
Reese Turner has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.