Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted February 17, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Fake Mask Scam

Jaw Jacks Number Seven

by Brett Matthew West


Don't know how you feel about this subject, but it is the kind of idiocy that makes a person want to toss the perpetrators through a fortified brick wall, smile at them, and politely walk away.

As if there's not enough going on in today's topsy-turvy world to be concerned with, federal authorities are caught up in investigating a massive counterfeit N95 mask operation. Sure you've heard this in the news somewhere.

Fake 3M masks have been sold to hospitals in several states. Government agencies and medical facilities have also been victimised by this scam. Difficult to detect, these foreign-made phonies can place healthcare workers tending to Covid patients at much higher risks of contracting the virus.

Scammers target not only hospitals, and the such, but desperate American citizens through false websites that propose to sell vaccines and other worthless medicines produced overseas. Personal protective equipment is another area these hooligans prey on.

Considered the gold standard in protection against Covid, the N95 mask is produced in large part by 3M. Their masks have been approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Fake N95 masks do not come from authorized dealers, but from frauds in other countries. The 3M website provides tips on how to spot these fake masks, chiefly through faulty trademarks and packagings.

How widespread have these fraudsters been? Hundreds of people have been arrested by Homeland Security in cooperation with the Border Patrol, the FDA, and the FBI in these fake masks scams. More than 1,250 law enforcement raids have netted 10 million counterfeit N95 masks.

Of particular note, there seems to be some question concerning a Miami-based company called Q2 Solutions. Model 1860, and 1860S, masks manufactured by them may be fraudulent, especially if they contain a seal that says "Peru". This seal is not used outside Latin America. So, if you chance upon one of them it is probably best to leave that mask alone for your own safety.

There are so many scams and scammers out there one must be diligent in watching out for. What is this world coming to?

Yes, it is scammers like this you would like to toss through a fortified brick wall, smile at, and politely walk away.




Hidden Identity, by cleo85, selected to complement my essay.

So, thanks cleo85, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my essay.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.