General Fiction posted February 16, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Back in the day when people got their water from wells

The ghost at Saunders lane

by Joanne Gill-Maddick


 
 An old abandoned house is just off a trail behind our family home. This dwelling  belonged to a Saunders family who are now deceased.  

The residents of the community have reason to believe a ghost resides in the house.  The windows are boarded up and the boards are hanging off in places and swinging rampantly in the wind.  

At night the lights constantly flicker off and on while the  doors are opening and closing by themselves. Smoke towers from the chimney.

 A silhouette of an old lady sitting in a rocking chair is seen in the window.  She rocks to and fro creating an unsettling and eerie scene to onlookers.  

This setting was back in the day when people’s water supply came from man made wells, some of which were bottomless.  

On a cold crisp winter's morn, on Dec 13, 1935,  at 7am, a wise old woman by the name of Philomena Saunders, set out to retrieve water from her well, she slipped on a patch of ice and fell into the well and drowned. 

Upon the anniversary of her death, every year when the clock strikes 7.  You'll see her donned in century-old attire consisting of a black and white dress with an apron tied around her waist, along with a matching black and white bonnet for her head.

People have been known to be in the vicinity on this date and seen an apparition of Philomena walking to the well.  She was carrying her water buckets in a hoop around her waist, as she did so many times before.



Ghost Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a Ghost Story. No limit on the word count. No poetry.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Joanne Gill-Maddick All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Joanne Gill-Maddick has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.