General Fiction posted February 6, 2021 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Evidence is coming together

A chapter in the book Zoo Murder:

Zoo Murder: Representation

by Bill Schott


Characters:
Bull Schlitz = police inspector
Dan D'weir = homicide detective
Mellow Bailey = park director
Nat Taurus = habitat manager
Honor Bonner =veterinarian
Mame Dennis = media representative
Jerry Mathers = AZA Midwest Area coordinator
Clarice Darrow = Zoo Attorney


Previously: There was a murder in the city zoo. Five people were brought in for questioning.  Both Mellow Bailey, the park director and Nat Taurus, the habitat manager have given odd information and have implicated two others. One of those, Mame Dennis, has indicated she was involved with the victim's death.

End of the last chapter:

"No, I heard that Cy was dead though. Isn't he? Dead?"

"What if he wasn't dead?"

Mame Dennis grew silent, staring at the inspector's desk. Her head began teetering slightly from side to side. A sliver of a smile appeared on her otherwise motionless face; it slowly blossomed into a lip-stretching toothy grin. Looking up suddenly, making eye contact with Bull, she blurted, "Then we will have to kill him again."


After comparing notes with Detective D'weir, Inspector Schlitz charged the three zoo personnel with suspicion of murder. The suspects were moved to the county jail. Meanwhile, the zoo's attorney had arrived and sat in Bull's office.  She was waiting there, briefcase on the desk and opened, when the inspector arrived. Bull moved to his chair without eye-contact or acknowledging the woman's presence. 

The attorney waited a few seconds before speaking.

"I am Clarice Darrow; I represent the Municipal Zoo.  All five of the people in custody are my clients."

Looking over at a clipboard on the right edge of his desk, Bull said, "Bailey, Taurus, and Dennis are all down at lock-up. I'll be talking to Bonner and Mathers directly."

Handing the inspector a blue-bound folder she said, "This is a letter to supress any and all evidence gathered without my being present.  You will not be interrogating the other clients without my being there."

Bull pressed a button on his intercom and spoke.

"Where's Weirdo?"

A voice came back, "Detective D'weir here."

"Grab the vet and the Beav; bring 'em both into my office." 

Within a minute the detective entered with the last two zoo suspects in tow.

"Hi, Clarice!" chirped Honor Bonner.

"Hey, Sweet Cheeks," was Jerry Mathers' greeting.

Bull stood and crossed to meet the two suspects.

"Why did you two kill Cyril Loyne?"

Both gasped simultaneously before stepping away from one another and pointing at each other. In unison they announced that the other had done it.

"Weirdo, arrest these two and take them to jail. Perry Mason here will be able to talk to them there."

"My name is Darrow, Inspector."

Ignoring the lawyer, Bull returned to his desk as Detective D'weir took the two out for transport. 

"I'd like to see what evidence there is to arrest my clients," insisted the attorney.

"The DA will show you the charges and evidence when she gets around to it," he said, never looking at Darrow. 

"I'll be filing charges of police misconduct with the district attorney's office as well."

Bull pressed the intercom button again.

"Send someone to escort the zoo lawyer to the exit."


 




Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.