Humor Flash Fiction posted January 25, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
FLASH-back backfires

Ghost of My Former Self

by Elizabeth Emerald


This afternoon I attended the funeral of my former mother-in-law, Dora. In masked attendance were her daughters (my former sisters-in law), Debbie and Dru; their respective husbands, Jeff and Fred; and their adult children (one per), DJ and Josette. I'd never met Josette, having divorced her uncle, in October 1996, ten days after her birth.

As for the others, I last saw them six years ago, at my daughter's graduation party. Given that the gathering was sparse on account of Corona, I recognized them, despite their masks, by default.

There were several others present whom I identified by deduction; in-laws thrice removed; e.g. Debbie's husband's sister and her husband.  

I was stumped by only one, a woman of indeterminate age and unremarkable attire (per facemask and funereal dress code).

She approached, and addressed me thus: "Hello, Liz. You probably don't remember me. I'm Lorraine, daughter of Aunt Dora's sister, Irene. I'll never forget you, out there, by yourself, whirling like a dervish at my brother Eddie's wedding."

Eddie's wedding was in 1983. My hair was unassuming brown; it's now flamboyant (superfluous to say) marachino. My face, forty years on, constrained from flouting its mask, made up for it by flaunting its eyebags. I was floored that Lorraine, whom I barely recalled, was able to recognize me.

Lorraine continued: "I was fifteen, awkward, self-conscious, watching you flailing, flapping, wishing I had the nerve to get up and make a fool of myself too."




 



Recognized


Two To Tango! by seshadri_sreenivasan on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.