General Fiction posted January 24, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Liliana interviews with Dr. Rivers

The Appointment

by davisr (Rhonda)


Chapters 1 and 2:

We meet Liliana, a young lady with teaching and administrative experience, who sets out to interview for a job in Georgia. She loses her car in a storm and is forced to walk to safety. Trapped in flood waters, she is rescued by Dr. Rivers, the man she is to interview with the next day.

Chapter 3:

Liliana sat in a straight-backed chair across from Dr. Rivers and listened to him talk about plans for Discarded Treasures. She detected the scent of furniture polish on his oak desk, felt its smooth texture as she rested her hands nervously on the surface, and tasted the essence of success it projected.

Dr. Rivers wasn't a very tall man, but had a powerfully built physique visible even in business clothes. He had shaggy brown hair, peppered with gray, and piercing gray eyes that seemed to notice everything around him. Last night, he was her rescuer from a storm, but now was all businessman. He leaned forward onto his elbows and rested his chin on tented fingertips.

"So, what do you think?"

Liliana paused a moment in thought. She knew her response would set the stage for all that transpired between them in the future, and that despite their experience of the night before, she needed to exude professionalism at the present.

"The way I see it, you're trying to build a community college of sorts using the talents of some of the residents here at Discarded Treasures."

Expressive eyes bid her continue.

"You have the nucleus for your project, but need an administrator to help develop teaching talent from within your ranks, and then to recruit others from outside to build a sort of combination nursing home, school, and rehab center."

"Very perceptive, and what do you think about becoming that administrator?"

"Are you offering me the position?"

"Yes."

Liliana hesitated as she searched for a way to express what she was thinking.

"Please, say what's on your mind," Dr. Rivers encouraged. "I prefer honesty."

"Your nucleus consists of a 100-year-old cooking teacher, a disabled child genius who can teach anything from Biology to Nuclear Physics, a homeless pregnant teen to teach Life Skills, two octogenarian reading teachers, a doctor, you, to teach Health Science and CPR, 70-year-old triplets who will be the librarians, a 30-year-old, former homeless man who is a recovering alcoholic for woodshop, and an orphan you raised, to teach horticulture."

"And a 93-year-old animal husbandry instructor, yes."

"Are any of them, by chance, certified teachers?"

"A few, like the triplets, and the two reading teachers... your mother, once you lure her down here, and, of course, you."

"I'm certified in Indiana, not Georgia, and I never mentioned my mother. What do you know about her?"

"Only what your Aunt Vera told me," he said dismissively, "but I have ideas about your situation. I can set you up for classes and certification tests. I'm sure you'll pass them with no problem."

"You've spent a lot of time and energy planning this out."

"It's my nature."

"You do have raw material, albeit unconventional. I guess many private schools have started with less."

"That was my thought."

"How will you attract students?"

"We can start with the ones who live here, others we'll get from the community. Our lower tuition fees should attract those who can't afford more traditional education."

"That just might work, but if what you want is a lower income school, why not just advertise for teachers? Why make the elderly and disabled work?"

"Because that's the point of Discarded Treasures. Just because people are old or infirm, doesn't mean they don't want to contribute to the world... to feel they matter."

"That's as noble as it is ambitious, but what if you fail?"

"That's the risk of all great ventures."

"Doesn't this scare you a bit?"

"Sometimes" Dr. Rivers said, "but I work hard not to let it show."

"Because it makes you look weak?"

"No, because it makes others feel weak."

"You sound like my mother."

"Yes, your Aunt Vera said she's quite a leader."

"Was, but she's retired now."

"And how does she feel about that?"

"Pretty lost."

"So, you understand the essence of what I'm trying to do here?"

"I told you I did, but I'm not sure I'm qualified to be a part of it."

"You have the credentials and you have experience in school administration."

"But this is different. I'm just not sure I have enough courage for something on this scale."

"You'll find it when you need it."

"And if there are days when I'm weary and can't find any hope for myself, let alone anyone else, then what'll I do?"

"Lean on me."

Liliana met the doctor's eyes. Neither one of them blinked, and neither one betrayed the thoughts running through their minds. Finally, Liliana spoke.

"I'll take the job."

"Good, I'll see you at 8:00 in the morning."

"How shall I dress?"

"Business casual is fine. As you may have noticed, we don't do hospital attire here."

"Now that you mention it, I didn't see any scrubs, but what about the nurses, surely they're appropriate for them?"

"Come now, Liliana, we don't have nurses at Discarded Treasures, we have Health Science Instructors."

"Of course you do."




Recognized


The main part of the book, Discarded Treasures, begins late in the year 2017, although I didn't make that clear in earlier chapters.

Occasional flashbacks will be indicated by the year in their title.

Characters:


Liliana Langley: Main female character of the book who will help run the Discarded Treasures project

Joyce Langley: Liliana's mother

Aunt Vera: Former partner of Dr. Rivers who helped set up Discarded Treasures Nursing Home.

Dr. Floyd Rivers: A man of uncertain age that heads a project and group home called, Discarded Treasures.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.