Horror and Thriller Fiction posted January 23, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
His birthday is more than expected.

Adam's Birthday Celebration

by Lance S. Loria


Adam woke up unusually early for a Saturday morning. He liked to sleep late whenever he could on a weekend. But today was his 21st birthday and he and his girlfriend Tracy had made plans with friends.

Adam lived in a two story townhouse in Aurora, just outside Denver. He truly loved the outdoors lifestyle. Tracy's suggestion that they go camping with a few friends for his birthday sounded like the perfect way to celebrate.

After his shower, shave and breakfast, he gathered his camping gear and loaded the Dodge Ram 4x4. One of the things about his truck that he liked was the camper option that allowed for sleeping on the truck bed under cover without pitching a tent. Depending on terrain and weather, this option came in handy. Frankly, it could also be more secure from wild animals that might be looking for food or shelter.

Adam recalled one camping trip with his family years earlier when a raccoon entered their family tent while everyone was asleep. Suddenly someone woke and screamed. The raccoon was frightened and ran around the tent trying to escape as pandemonium broke loose until the tent tore and the raccoon got away. It was the middle of the night but no one could sleep and that trip ended with the family heading back home. That was an epic fail but fortunately not the typical camping trip which Adam experienced and grew to love.

Since this was early September, the weather was forecast to be clear and cool which was perfect for camping and outdoor activities. Adam and his friends enjoyed hiking, fishing and sometimes just fireside drinking with occasional pot smoking to set the mood.

Camping gear, clothes, food, drinks, and of course pot were all packed. Let's see, oh yeah, he was missing one girl friend. At that moment his cell phone buzzed.

"Hey Tracy, I was just wondering if you were ready to go yet? Am I picking you up or am I meeting you?"

"Hi baby. I'm always ready to go camping with you. Pick me up at my place now!"

"Ok see you in a few minutes, bye!"

Adam was out the door and on the way, stopping only briefly to fill the gas tank and grab a couple of soft drinks and snacks for the hour long trip. He pulled up in front of Tracy's apartment to find her sitting on her bags waiting for him.

"Hey, you look like you got evicted, need a lift?"

"Ha, ha. Aren't you always the good Samaritan."

Adam jumped out and gave Tracy a kiss and a hug. He grabbed her bags and put them in the back of the camper and got back behind the wheel. He gave Tracy another hug and kiss. They've been dating over a year and one day soon he thought he might pop the big question and ask her to move in with him.

"Is there anything else you need before we leave civilization?" Adam asked.

"You are all I need babe," she replied.

Adam drove down the interstate. "I received a text from Ethan that he's driving up with Carrie along with Harris and Amy."

"I know, I heard from Carrie. I'm so excited about this trip. We'll have so much fun."

They arrived at the campsite about an hour later, ahead of the others, and used the opportunity to set up their tent; the kitchen; as well as arrange a fire. They also had a few minutes to themselves to snuggle inside the tent for some intimate hugs and kisses. Before they knew it, Ethan pulled up in his Jeep Cherokee and everyone jumped out with plenty of hugs and high fives to go around.

The drinking light was lit with the ice cooler open and the beer cans popping like fireworks. Everyone was feeling great in no time as good times were being had by one and all. Chicken, burgers and more were cooking with Harris at the grill. Amy was working on a huge fruit salad. Laughter was contagious. The party was looking like a success.

Suddenly there was a roar of motorcycle engines and the campers were surrounded by twenty to thirty bikers. These guys were obviously a gang out for kicks as they rode around the campfire churning up dirt and exhaust fumes. They were hollering and laughing as they rode in circles finally coming to a halt and the dust began to settle.

The bikers dismounted and approached the campers. The apparent leader said, "Good evening folks, I'm Durango, mind if we join you for a beer?" With that, two coolers were lifted away and passed among the bikers.

Adam was the first to speak. "We're not looking for any trouble, just here for a quiet camping trip so we'd appreciate it if you'd enjoy the beer and then go."

Durango frowned and walked up to Adam. "That's not very hospitable of you boy. We haven't been any trouble. We're just enjoying a beer with you folks. And now you're insulting me and my friends. I don't take kindly to that kind of talk."

Tracy was tugging on Adam's arm trying to get him to sit down and be quiet. Adam shook her hand away. "Listen Durango, it's not that I meant anything against you or your friends, but we came here for a private party and now that we've shared our beer with you it's time for you and your friends to leave."

That's when all hell broke loose. The bikers jumped the guys and gals and handcuffed them. Adam and Tracy were pushed into the Dodge camper and the hatch was closed and locked. The others were pushed into the Jeep Cherokee. Motorcycles roared to life and the vehicles and bikers took off down the winding road deeper into the woods.

After about a 15 minute bumpy and curvy drive the Dodge truck came to a sudden stop. Adam could hear the bikers around the truck. He thought he heard voices of Ethan and Harris being roughed up as well as the muffled screams of Carrie and Amy. The voices and footsteps trailed off as though they walked off into a nearby building. There was no sound for at least thirty minutes and Tracy was sobbing while Adam was trying to devise a plan to get out of the handcuffs and the locked camper.

Suddenly the hatch opened. "Are you two comfortable out here? We're having a party with your friends inside, but don't worry, it'll be your turn soon." Durango laughed loudly and then the hatch slammed shut and locked.

"Oh my God, what are they doing to them?" cried Tracy.

"Try to relax Tracy, we don't know anything is happening to them."

Another half hour passed before the hatch opened and a few bikers pulled Tracy and Adam out of the camper and roughly pushed them towards an old concrete building. It appeared to be some type of industrial facility. They entered and saw bikers standing or sitting around drinking and talking, but they suddenly got quiet and looked at them. Tracy was pulled down one hall and into an inner office by her captors. She cried out to Adam but he was being held firmly and unable to do anything to help her. He was escorted down a hallway and passed what appeared to be a cell with two mattresses and two female figures lying facedown dressed only in panties and handcuffed. Oh my God, Adam realized these women were his friends Carrie and Amy. What had happened to them?

He was pushed around a corner where he saw two men on the floor without shirts who were handcuffed to the wall. They both appeared to have been beaten and were bleeding. Both seemed unconscious. He hardly recognized them but was certain they were his friends Ethan and Harris. Adam feared for his life as well as the lives of his friends.

The bikers pushed Adam into a small room at the end of the hallway and he was handcuffed to the wall and left sitting on a wooden stool. They left him there alone in the darkness for at least ten minutes. He could hear what sounded like punching and hitting, as if his two friends were again being beaten by the bikers. He could hear some laughter and cheering by the rowdy crowd as well. What the hell was going on here? Who were these people and what did they want?

Then he heard the most dreaded sound of all...it was Tracy screaming his name. She screamed for him several times over before it stopped. He began to sob. His feeling of total helplessness was overwhelming. There was nothing he could do for the woman that he loved or for his four best friends. Now it was likely he would be next.

The door pushed open and Durango walked in carrying a chainsaw. He was smiling in a crude way looking into Adam's eyes. "I guess you're wondering what this is for."

"Go to hell Durango, you sick bastard. Let us go or you and your entire gang will spend the rest of your pathetic lives in prison waiting on death row for what you've already done."

Durango pulled the chainsaw chord and it buzzed to life. "I bet you are a fraternity boy who really prizes his little dicky." With that he aimed the saw between Adam's legs and cut the wooden stool in half dropping him to the floor.

"Uncuff him from the wall and bring him down to the game room where we can really party and have fun with this wuss boy."

Two bikers grabbed Adam and drug him by his feet out of the small room and pulled him two doors down into another larger dark room. They roughly picked him up and turned him around as the lights were turned on.

SURPRISE!!!!

Everyone was there to wish Adam a Happy Birthday. Durango was cutting a huge birthday cake with the chainsaw.



Horror Writing Contest contest entry


What are friends for any way?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lance S. Loria All rights reserved.
Lance S. Loria has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.