Biographical Non-Fiction posted January 21, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The way God used one song in the life of Basma

A Song for Basma

by DeboraDyess


There are so many songs of praise and worship that are special to me. Raised by a music evangelist, songs have always been a path to worship.

Today (and who knows about tomorrow?) my favorite Christian song is MercyMe's beautiful song, Flawless. If you haven't heard it before, check out the video below.

When my husband, Steve, was diagnosed with cancer, we knew we'd have a hard time with treatment. Our small town doesn't have the facilities he needed. With chemo and radiation, he would be unable to drive and, because of a vision impairment, I haven't been behind the wheel of a car since 1984. Our oldest daughter was willing, but with her four children, travel would be difficult.

It's amazing how God works through our dead-ends. As we were trying to navigate our way through the challenges of our predicament, our youngest girl called. She'd found us an apartment in ft. Worth, only a few miles from both treatment centers. Her entire class was graduating from North Texas State Health Science Center. Because a classmate had two months left on her apartment contract, she'd offered it to us. She only asked that we pay the utilities since she was going to have to pay the rent no matter what. She left us a fully stocked apartment, food included.

Since Meagan and a friend would be in Thailand shortly after Steve's treatment started, she arranged with the new president of the incoming class to transport us from radiation back to the apartment. The girl, a first-generation Pakistani, was such a delight! She listened to music all the time, her beautiful smile acting like medicine to our fragile and fragmented emotions.

One day as we neared the apartment, Steve realized he'd left his medications at the radiation center. Basma* smiled. "No worries, Steve. Debby and I will go back." She helped him up the flight of stairs that led to our home-away-from-home and I made sure he was settled.

As we headed back to the car, Basma asked me about my favorite music. "We've been listening to mine this whole time," she explained. "I'd like to hear yours."

I hesitated. "You may not like it, sweetie. It's Christian music and it's kind of an older song."

Basma didn't hesitate. "I want to hear it!"

"The band is called MercyMe."

"What's your favorite song?"

I prayed quickly. What song would give the best testimony to a Muslim girl? "Flawless," I said. Fortunately, it really was one of my favorite songs.

Basma keyed it up. I watched her face as she listened to the words.
There's got to be more
Than going back and forth
From doing right to doing wrong
'Cause we were taught that's who we are
Come on get in line right behind me
You along with everybody
Thinking there's worth in what you do...

Basma arched her eyebrows and shot me a quick look.

No matter the bumps
No matter the bruises
No matter the scars
Still the truth is
The cross has made
The cross has made you flawless
No matter the hurt
Or how deep the wound is
No matter the pain
Still the truth is
The cross has made
The cross has made you flawless


With each revelation in the song, Basma cocked her head or gave me a quick glance. It spoke to her like no words I could say...until she asked me to explain.

"Imagine you and your dad have spent hours together, restoring an old, beautiful antique car. You have it finished and are so proud. Your father has passed away, so the car is even more important to you."

Basma looked a little confused but nodded.

"You allow your neighbor to borrow your car, but you don't mean the one you and your dad fixed. Unfortunately, that's the one he takes. And wrecks."

Basma made the appropriate face.

"What could he do to replace that? Buying you a new car won't do it. He offers to do your yard for the rest of his life, to make you his famous brisket every day all summer, to buy you your favorite dessert from now until eternity."

"None of that would do," Basma said, right on cue.

"Our sin, just one single sin, is like us wrecking that car. And, no matter how many good deeds we do, we cannot take away that sin.

Basma looked at me as we pulled into a parking spot at the radiation center. "How do you think you can find God and go to Paradise, then?"

"Jesus. The Son of God came to take the punishment for our idiot mistakes, our intentional evil, and all the other stuff in between."

She nodded.

She didn't come to know Jesus that day, but I got a phone call months later. She excitedly told me about a boyfriend and explained that she couldn't introduce him to her parents yet because they didn't know.

"About the boyfriend?" I asked, confused.

"Him, too. But it's because he's not Muslim."

"What is he?"


"Christian! I couldn't marry a Muslim now!" She paused. "Oh, did I forget to tell you? I'm a follower of Jesus now!" She giggled, a sound so full of joy that it spread through the phone to me.

I know that song wasn't the turning point for her, but I also know God used it in her life to prepare her heart. I now He allowed me to sow a seed that took root.

And, whether Flawless is my favorite song on a given day or not, you cannot beat how God used it in Basma's life.



 




I'm obviously not smart enough to figure out how to put a YouTube video below the post. lol. Find the song/band on YouTube at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLlLPZderk
Basma is a common Muslim girl's name. It means 'smile'. It seemed appropriate. I changed my friend's name to ensure her privacy. She may have friends/family who may not yet know of her conversion. She is not afraid of them finding out -- she just wants to prayerfully decide when to share the news.

I mean no disrespect to my friends of other faiths. I believe Jesus is the road to Heaven/Paradise. Man-made religions have man-oriented ways to save themselves. Christianity recognizes that we cannot bribe a true, holy God with deeds or words. Only God can create a way. Christianity is a God-created faith.

I'm praying that God will move in the life of Basma's family and that there will be a spiritual enlightenment that will allow them to become missionaries to their own people. When Jesus told us in Matthew to 'go and make disciples of all nations', who knew He was going to bring all the nations to us? He's so cool!

Club entry for the "What was your miracle" event in "God in Your Life".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DeboraDyess All rights reserved.
DeboraDyess has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.