General Non-Fiction posted January 18, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My most favorite hymn

Abide With Me

by damommy












This is an easy one for me.  I have many favorites, mostly from the Episcopal hymnal that many wouldn’t recognize, but my most favorite is “Abide With Me.”  It was written by an Anglican curate in the early 1800s, Henry Francis Lyte.  As he was sitting beside a dying friend’s side, he kept hearing the words “abide with me” in his head.
 
There are seven stanzas to this song.  It’s associated with funerals a lot, and with the Anglican service of Evensong.  To me, it says everything I need to say in prayer.
 
“Abide with me; fast falls the eventide, the darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.” I ask that He stay with me through the night and protect me until morning.  Also, to stay with me through the dark times in my life.  When there’s no one else, God is there for me.
 
The next two lines, “when other helpers fail and comforts flee,” I know He’s still there for me.  “Help of the helpless, O abide with me.”  Sometimes, I am completely helpless, and when no one else can help, I know He’s there to keep me strong enough to keep going.
 
In the dark days since losing my son, this song has helped me immensely.  With the isolation we’re all in these days, this song has kept me from losing my sanity.  He sends me wonderful friends who call, text, and email me, to step in just when I need them most.
 
I feel that the Lord does indeed abide with me.

 



Recognized


The topic was to tell my favorite hymn and what it means to me.

Club entry for the "What was your miracle" event in "God in Your Life".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.