Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 15, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
No Admission

A Random Act

by Lordinajamjar


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.





There was a knock on the door.

Inside the old red brick building an elderly man, with unkempt white hair, was seated on an antique "Queen Anne" chair.  He put down his pipe and turned his head, as if to listen, in the direction of the door.

Across from him was sat an elderly woman.  Her face was creased from the passage of time though her handsome face had lost little of its charm. 

She spoke out, softly but firmly, in a deliberate well spoken tone.

"Did you hear something Albert?"

The old man replied, "Yes I did Dorah.  It was a very weak knock at the front door.   It really wasn't very convincing at all.  Damned poor show if you ask me."

Dorah raised herself from the chair and stepped forward a couple of paces.  She turned her head towards the door and listened.

"It appears to have stopped Albert. Do you think whoever it was has gone away, given up the ghost?"

Albert stood up and spoke directly to Dorah. 

"I would jolly well hope so Dorah.  That was a poor effort. If it was me I would slink away in shame and I wouldn't dare show my face around here again."

Dorah appeared to become a little agitated with Albert's dismissive tone.

"Oh, Albert, why are you being so unkind?  I cannot believe that I used to admire you so much.  You were such a wonderful teacher.  It was your patience that impressed me most and you never ever put any of your students down."

Albert interrupted her sharply.

"Oh yes Dorah, and where did that patience get me?  What thanks did I get?  All of my students went on to be successful in life -- in no small part thanks to me.  I made them strong and bold, and independent. I instilled character into them. They are leaders, every one of them now because of me.  Because of me Dorah!"

Albert sucked on his pipe and blew out the smoke, which wafted around Dorah.  She loved the sweet smell of pipe tobacco. She closed her eyes and breathed in the aroma.  A gentleman's aroma she would call it.

The two of them became more relaxed; their manner calmed as they stood gathering their thoughts in silence.

"Good God, Dorah! Did you hear that?"

The sound of breaking glass startled Dorah as she reached out for the relative safety of Albert's arm.

Intruders suddenly rushed in through the open smashed door.  Their faces covered by ski masks.  

Dorah let out a frightened scream as two of the intruders overpowered Albert and threw him to the floor.  His head hit the hard tiled floor sharply --knocking him out cold. 

Dorah lashed out with her arms, pounding vainly on the chest of a burly assailant, who laughed as he lifted her up like a rag doll.

"Put me down, you beast," screamed Dorah.

A smaller invader, who had just entered the scene, ran over to intervene.  He shouted angrily, "Put her down Jack. Damn you!"

The burly thug, his name now revealed, lowered Dorah gingerly.  She pulled away from him and fell onto her knees next to the unconcious Albert.

Dorah shook Albert gently, weeping, as she checked for signs of a pulse.  "Oh Albert, what have these monsters done to you?"

The small intruder, who had intervened, appeared to be the leader of the gang of five.   

"You two," he shouted towards the two biggest gang members, "pick him up and lay him over there on the couch!"

Albert felt himself being gently lifted up and lowered to the soft couch. His senses began to slowly return. The familiar sound of Dorah's voice leading him back to full consciousness. 

"Oh Albert, it's okay.  You are back with me now.  I was so worried.  I thought they had killed you."  She held him, cradling his head on her bosom.

The anonymous leader bent down and picked up the broken smoking pipe.  He held it close to his covered face as if inhaling the dying tobacco embers.

He placed the two pieces of the broken pipe into an ashtray that lay on a coffee table.

He turned to speak to the frightened old couple and said, "My grandfather used to smoke a pipe like that."

He signalled to his men and they followed him as he led them out through the smashed door.   They took care to close it behind them, never to return. 

Albert turned to Dorah, his voice faltering.

"It's so senseless.  So bloody damned senseless."








 



Sentence writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: There was a knock on the door.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Nancy J Wood at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lordinajamjar All rights reserved.
Lordinajamjar has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.