General Fiction posted January 15, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
What is in the package?

The Package

by Monica Chaddick


There was a knock on the door. I put down my glass of wine and my magazine and unfolded myself from the comfort of my couch. I yelled out that I was coming and made my way to the door.

I opened the door and looked around. No one was there, but there was a package on my stoop. This was rather odd, since I hadn't ordered anything, but I picked it up, thinking that either someone sent me something or it was a wrong address sort of situation. Oddly enough, it was addressed to me, but had no return address.

Even more strange, there was a label on it that warned me to be aware that opening the package would have consequences and that if I opened it, I must be ready to accept said consequences. I was a bit spooked by this, so I set the package down on my coffee table, refilled my wine, and retired to my bedroom. There I spent the night in fitful sleep with the light on.

In the morning light, I felt a bit like a fool. It was obvious that someone was playing some sort of a prank on me. After all, what consequences could opening a package have? I moved the package to my dining room table and stared at it as I ate my breakfast. I still couldn't bring myself to open it, but I couldn't leave it alone, either.
I didn't have work today, so I carried the package to my room and set it on my bed while I got dressed in my comfiest outfit. Once I was dressed and ready for the day, I moved it back to the coffee table. I sat on the couch contemplating the package for a while, then once more moved it to the kitchen while I did the morning dishes.

Finally, I decided that the best thing to do would be to just open the stupid thing. After all, what could a package do to me? I slit the tape with determination and popped open the box. Inside, buried beneath the packing paper, was a note. The note stated that I had just released an airborne poison into the air and that I would be dead within minutes.

As I lay on the kitchen floor, blood coming out of my eyes and gasping my final breath, I realized that a package could do something to me, after all.



Sentence writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: There was a knock on the door.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Monica Chaddick All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Monica Chaddick has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.