Humor Flash Fiction posted January 13, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Paws-n-claws included

Heating Pad with a Purr

by Elizabeth Emerald

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

My daughter's bedroom door has a cat-flap for the convenience of Bixby and Socks. I often find the pair lounging on my bed during the day; at night one or both frequently wake me by scratching at my door.

I try to ignore them, but when I glimpse a paw frantically scrambling beneath the door, I know resistance is futile.

My visitor is usually Bixby, who has the unfortunate habit of hogging the bed; the moment I permit him entry, he beats me to the punch, spreading himself dead center.

Bixby's claws have an unpleasant tendency of extending themselves into my flesh should I dare to disturb him. I gingerly climb back into bed, giving him as wide a berth as I can manage.

This necessitates squashing my back against the headboard and jack-knifing my legs, from which awkward position I slowly scootch down and unfold myself, taking care not to jostle him or rustle the bedcovers.

The tortuous maneuver leaves me spread-eagled, from which ungraceful position I retrieve the flapped-and-padded hat that I keep under my pillow to protect eyes from claws.

On my back, eyes covered, I eventually drift into restless sleep. Which is invaribly interrupted when Bixby has the audacity to encroach on my crunched-up, supine self ... ever further ... 

And thus, for what's left of the night, I remain:

with a twelve-pound pussy sitting on my ...

... chest.



Recognized


Krazy Kat by MoonWillow on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.